Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

163 Pf help!

Same as always. Proper technique does the biggest difference. Heavier buffer weight and stronger spring, for such powerful loads I would go the Blitzkrieg 5015HD with the extra weight, as short stroke as possible and a strong spring like 308 JP, Tubbs flat 308 or red Sprinco, maybe sth even stronger. A comp will provide the last touch. I prefer upward vents only to give flatness rather than softness.

And 163 PF is not so bad. In my 16" CMMG the most accurate factory ammo (in my rifle) , Geco 124 gr, does 156 PF and is still very managable. Not much difference from my 140 PF hand loads. In my rifle I'm going with the most accurate load and tuning the rifle for it. Recoil is not so much a factor in rifle as with pistols.

Edited by mrd

There shouldn't be that much difference recoil/dot rise. I would run the heaviest bolt/buffer combo I could to slow things down and delay the opening but after that take advantage of the cost and availability and practice. Once the gun is running reliably it will do more for your game than any buffer voodoo.

13 hours ago, Blurryvisions said:

The ammo is abundant and no cost to me so before you troll for shooting such hot ammo, free is free 🤣.  Now, how do I tame the load? I run a 14.5 JP barrel with a silent capture, and a JP bcg Thanks for the help in advance 👍🏻

Pick up the JP Short Stroke Conversion kit (#JPSCS2-9SS-4/5K) and 2 Tungsten Weights (#JPSCS-TUNGSTEN). This will let you swap your current standard SCS to a 5 weight Short Stroke with all 5 weights being tungsten. This is my preferred buffer setup for suppressed or hot ammo. 

12 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Pick up the JP Short Stroke Conversion kit (#JPSCS2-9SS-4/5K) and 2 Tungsten Weights (#JPSCS-TUNGSTEN). This will let you swap your current standard SCS to a 5 weight Short Stroke with all 5 weights being tungsten. This is my preferred buffer setup for suppressed or hot ammo. 

Darq thanks a lot for the info. That was the option I was leaning towards, I’ll give JP a call tomorrow and get that stuff on order. Thanks again!

13 hours ago, zzt said:

B, take a look at Wiland USA's LLW barrel.  It is a 5.5" rifled barrel with a brazed on shroud to get to 16.1".  http://wilandusa.com/ar-pcc-llw-barrel-9mm/ 

That will drop your hot rounds down by 200-250fps, decrease recoil, and speed up transitions.  I have their LLW 22 barrel on my RFRO gun and the transitions are lightning fast.  

Great price on those barrels! I hadn’t heard of them before. Do you use that barrel in your setup? If the 5 tungsten weights don’t slow down the recoil enough I’ll grab one and see how it does with the pair. Thanks for the information!

19 hours ago, mrd said:

Same as always. Proper technique does the biggest difference. Heavier buffer weight and stronger spring, for such powerful loads I would go the Blitzkrieg 5015HD with the extra weight, as short stroke as possible and a strong spring like 308 JP, Tubbs flat 308 or red Sprinco, maybe sth even stronger. A comp will provide the last touch. I prefer upward vents only to give flatness rather than softness.

And 163 PF is not so bad. In my 16" CMMG the most accurate factory ammo (in my rifle) , Geco 124 gr, does 156 PF and is still very managable. Not much difference from my 140 PF hand loads. In my rifle I'm going with the most accurate load and tuning the rifle for it. Recoil is not so much a factor in rifle as with pistols.

Couldn’t agree more on the proper technique. I’ll add some of those springs to the list when I grab the tungsten weights. Thanks for the info!

9 hours ago, Blurryvisions said:

Great price on those barrels! I hadn’t heard of them before. Do you use that barrel in your setup?

Not yet.  My PCC is being held up at the anodizers.  As soon as I hear it is being shipped to my FFL, I'll order the Wiland.