Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger Redhawk for iCore Limited?

KrymSIX

Hi folks, 

So I'm looking for a revolver that will let me shoot icore Limited and I'm wondering if this Ruger Redhawk is worth consideration?

https://ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5060.html 

The street price is around 750-800 online. 

There is also a used S&W Pro Series 627 that is at a shop local to me that is priced at 700. I've heard of people taking the 627 Pro and adding longer barrels and such to run them. I'd imagine after buying a barrel and paying for install etc. It prices out to around what a Performance Center gun goes for though.

I run a 6 inch SVI 2011 for USPSA Limited so the longer sight picture of the Ruger could feel more familiar. 

My goal is mostly to have a revolver to go to icore matches with my wife (she strongly prefers revolvers) and have the gun double as a home defense revolver. I'm not trying to beat JM, just have a competent revo and rig and have fun.

Thanks, 

Alex

We have 2 929’s -each. My wife’s are open revo’s mine are irons.  Easy to get parts and smiths to get them tuned properly. Cheap brass, just need to match headstamps to moonclips.  The 929 have a good sight radius @6.5” 

there is a new 8 shot competition Ruger 9mm in the works, not out yet.

my wife love revo’s, I just shoot them better.  However I dragged my limited SVI blaster out on the weekend to practice for an outdoor chilli match this weekend.  Hell a year of revo shooting has paid off, i’m shooting limited much better.  I’d rather shoot my 929 but I’m usually the only one (ipsc)

Buy the 627 and don't worry about replacing the barrel.  It's a great gun and I've run 627s for years with no problems.  You can use .38 Specials or like a lot of people do, use .38 Short Colt ( they load a little faster ).

Many people add a lot of (Upgrades) to their guns.  They are not needed and if I can ever get back into shooting ICORE the 627 is they way I'd go. Get the gun for  $700 and all you need to do is get ammo, a holster some speed loader holders and lots of practice.

A good trigger job is a nice plus but first fire the gun and see if it needs it.  If it's used the previous owner may have already done the trigger.

first 627.jpg

I just picked up a 627 pro for Open with a Dot so the sight radius isn't an issue.  Have a Ruger GP100 I picked up at the MW ICORE Regional and just finished slicking it up, while the pull is about a pound heavier than my slicked up 627 PC it does "feel" as light.  Plus so far it's lit everything I put in it.

So if you can get a Redhawk 8 shot for $800 and want to shoot Limited, that would be the ticket.

I think Olhasso shoots one, so it must be good.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to take a look at the used 627 Pro tomorrow. I've been looking at the Ruger Redhawk and there doesn't seem to be much if anything in the way of after market sights. 

So that's one thing definitely in favor of the 627 Pro, lots of aftermarket options there. The sight radius isn't my favorite, but I'll check it out and see how it feels tomorrow. 

I will say the Ruger Redhawk felt great in hand and the trigger pull was very smooth to the point the weight wasn't even a thought. It also seems like the Ruger might be a touch less sensitive or selective as far as needing Federal primers etc. 

Anyone have any experience with Speed Beez moon clips? They seem to be one of the few making moonclips for the 8 shot Rugers. 

Thanks all.

On 12/11/2019 at 7:06 PM, KrymSIX said:

I'm going to take a look at the used 627 Pro tomorrow. I've been looking at the Ruger Redhawk and there doesn't seem to be much if anything in the way of after market sights. 

So that's one thing definitely in favor of the 627 Pro, lots of aftermarket options there. The sight radius isn't my favorite, but I'll check it out and see how it feels tomorrow. 

I will say the Ruger Redhawk felt great in hand and the trigger pull was very smooth to the point the weight wasn't even a thought. It also seems like the Ruger might be a touch less sensitive or selective as far as needing Federal primers etc. 

Anyone have any experience with Speed Beez moon clips? They seem to be one of the few making moonclips for the 8 shot Rugers. 

Thanks all.

You can buy a blade and replace it if you need/want a deeper notch.  Dawson carries FS's of varying sizes.  

• 5 months later...

So I finally did it. I got the aforementioned Redhawk 8 shot and got to take it out to the range this past weekend. 

The great thing was the shop did a great job of cleaning it up and oiling it for me before I took it home so it was ready for the range right out of the box. 

Put about 300 rounds through it. The trigger was not exactly light, but extremely smooth, especially for a factory trigger. 

I will be opening it up and using some fine grit papers (1200 grit) to smooth up some of the little factory finishing rough spots. I will not be touching any of the seas and hammer faces, just smoothing some rough friction spots. 

I plan on running the factory spring for the first 1000 or so rounds. After doing some smoothing work I'll eventually play with some lighter springs. 

The grips were pretty comfortable but I'm probably going to replace them due their slipperiness in the heat of summer. 

Overall I feel like I got a good platform that can be made competition ready while skipping some of the headaches that have been associated with S&W lately as their qc becomes ever more hit and miss.

If you can find these at the right price they're excellent value. 

Thanks, 

Alex

I believe you can run that revolver in USPSA

Revolver

Limited

Limited 10

Production

And you should be able to use it in single stack but that's a separate from USPSA division and they're not that accommodating.  Purists.  :)

Put optics on it and you become OPEN

Edited by GMM50