Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mandatory reload

fishhunter3

36 minutes ago, nasty618 said:

With a small, but important correction - he reloaded, re-engaged the same array, then proceeded to engage the OTHER array without reloading. Does that make a difference? 

No.  (I'll note that isn't a "correction" because it isn't relevant to the decision-making regarding any penalty for not following the WSB.)

When the OP updated the WSB by adding the part where he said the targets were listed specifically, that made a difference in that the shooter needed to engage all targets in the array before the reload, instead of just "the array,"  --- but since the shooter did that, no, it doesn't make any difference that after the reload the shooter also took another shot at the first array.  He engaged all targets in the array, then reloaded, and didn't engage the second array until after the reload. The fact that he engaged something else after the reload doesn't make any difference.

No penalty.

As I said earlier, if the person who wrote the WSB wanted to micromanage the stage (which doesn't work well on Comstock stages, nor should it in USPSA at all), then he should have added "a reload is required every time the shooter switches arrays" or something like that, which is often used in various Classifiers.

(And Mike Burgess also wrote out the decision logic in a nice clear way too.)

Edited by Thomas H

• 1 month later...

If freestyle will work on the setup, yes.

In this case, a couple of onlys would have made it clearer.   "Engage ONLY Array 1 or Array 2, then perform mandatory reload then engage ONLY the remaining array."

It depends on what the stage designer wants, or whether they want it let it flow.  

I agree that designing the stage to be done pretty much one way it better, but not always possible, especially at smaller local matches.

2 hours ago, Pinecone said:

In this case, a couple of onlys would have made it clearer.   "Engage ONLY Array 1 or Array 2, then perform mandatory reload then engage ONLY the remaining array."

It's not really making it clearer, it's two different WSB-s. 

Every mathematician knows that if you have 3 apples and someone asks you: "do you have 2 apples?" the answer is always "yes," as in "here is one apple and here is another apple, so yes, I do have two apples." A completely different question is "do you have EXACTLY 2 apples?" This is what you are accomplishing with the word "ONLY" in your example. You are changing from "engage one array, reload, engage the other array" to "engage one array, reload, engage the other array and nothing else." Two different logical structures.

As a side issue, the way the OP stated the WSB (not the modified version later), it would be legal to shoot any combination of array 1 and array 2 as long as there is a reload and at least one shot after the reload at some point - all that the original WSB required was that there is one shot before the reload on one array and one shot after reload on the other. Adding the first "only" in your example prevents mixing arrays before the reload, while the second "only" prevents mixing of arrays after the reload. 

Agreed with everyone who said it's best to have the language that is already on classifiers of this type that simply says a reload is required any time arrays are switched. Simple and to the point, even if it allows multiple reloads which the above sentence with "ONLY" doesn't. Just my 2c...