Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Karl Sokol Hi Power. Perfect for ESP?

Tokarev

I have shot IDPA on and off over the years. Mostly in CDP or SSP. But I just had some work done to a Browning Hi Power and think the gun might be a good ticket for ESP.

The gun in question was a used 1988 vintage pistol with some pretty advanced holster wear. Also some slight pitting under the grips. Otherwise the pistol seemed pretty solid. Obviously used but possibly not an extremely high round count.

The gun was shipped off to Karl Sokol of Chestnut Mountain Sports about five months ago. It recently came back and I used it for a portion of a Gabe White class. I haven't shot the gun for group and/or haven't shot it in a match yet but it should work in either application just fine.

Trigger as measured using a Lyman digital scale is just a bit north of six pounds. I should have seen this coming since factory trigger springs are used throughout. But maybe I'll tweak the sear spring just a tiny bit. Maybe I can drop a pound off with a little careful bending.

Otherwise I think the pistol should be good to go. The Hi Power, ergonomically, has always been one of my favorites.

Anyone out there running one?

cfc9c09cb4c719edf9b0947fc83e2483.jpg

f0f98977d4827e528d0332899a2e2c82.jpg

92829204684d2d73a2234f135ed64c01.jpg

ba90d0a63e8ced6636f2ad6d023de0d4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The usual gripe about a Browning is that it is hard to reload.
Why it should be hard and all the other two-into-one magazine guns are easy to reload, I don't know, especially as well beveled as yours is.

Go for it.
I thought the big gripe with the Hi Power was a fairly long and indistinct trigger reset.

The Hi Power can be somewhat hard to reload because the mag, at its front edge, is about the same width as the magazine well.

I enjoy hipower's, but competition guns they arnt, nor can you make them one. I have tried. Long reset, or PIA mag safety. No idea what todays IDPA rule on that is, and it could change tommorrow. C&S made triggers with no mag disconnect hole, but they were pretty low quality and the over travel stops would break.
MKII's could be made with a bit shorter reset than the III's.  I had one with a welded on funnel,,, Honestly was just pouring good money after bad trying to run a highpower.
A tweaked XDM at half the price is a better platform.

I enjoy hipower's, but competition guns they arnt, nor can you make them one. I have tried. Long reset, or PIA mag safety. No idea what todays IDPA rule on that is, and it could change tommorrow. C&S made triggers with no mag disconnect hole, but they were pretty low quality and the over travel stops would break.
MKII's could be made with a bit shorter reset than the III's.  I had one with a welded on funnel,,, Honestly was just pouring good money after bad trying to run a highpower.
A tweaked XDM at half the price is a better platform.
Yuck. I don't care for the XDM. Would run a 320 or M&P before then. Or stick with CDP.

Mag safety is very easy to remove although I'd have to double check the rulebook.

Funny now that America is accepting the 9mm an an adequate defensive cartridge FN has dropped the Hi Power from production. Thanks, Cooper....

I bought my first P35 back in 1963 (shipped directly to my home from Gil Hebard Guns in Illinois).

Yes, this was a few months before Lee Harvey ended mail order guns for good.

Loved the gun, and still do - have one fully customized (3 lb trigger, large magwell, beavertail, 

BoMar sights and Barsto barrel - accurized - it's a beauty and fun to shoot - and it should when

you consider what I paid for it.    :(   

But, they're soft - wear out quickly - and the new modern guns are much superior for any action

sport, IMHO.  At a reduced price. 

But, to each his own.  It's fun to break it out once in a while, just for the comments from the other

shooters who recognize the P35.  But, I can't imagine using it every week for anything.

41 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

have one fully customized (3 lb trigger, large magwell, beavertail, 

BoMar sights and Barsto barrel - accurized - it's a beauty and fun to shoot - 

Post up a pic I'd love to see it.  

This probably means the pistol pictured above is not legal in IDPA unless I add the mag disconnect back in.  Then I'd have to source the factory BHP mags with the mousetrap spring.

Thanks, Bill...

"Disconnecting or disabling of any safety device including (but not limited to): manual safeties, grip safeties, firing

pin, striker, and hammer blocking safeties, 1911 series 80 firing pin safeties, 1911 Swartz safeties. 1911 series 80

frames may be used with series 70 slides or vice versa. Revolver actions may not be modified so that the

hammer can fall when the cylinder is open."

23 hours ago, Tokarev said:

Post up a pic I'd love to see it.  

Here's my safe queen.     :cheers:

After shooting my original BHP for 50 years, I broke down

and had this built by EGW.  Love it, but not really practical.

Too many nice guns on the market that are less expensive.

But, I love to fondle it, and shoot it once in a while    :) 

bhp1.jpg

7 hours ago, Tokarev said:

This probably means the pistol pictured above is not legal in IDPA unless I add the mag disconnect back in.  Then I'd have to source the factory BHP mags with the mousetrap spring.

Thanks, Bill...

"Disconnecting or disabling of any safety device including (but not limited to): manual safeties, grip safeties, firing

pin, striker, and hammer blocking safeties, 1911 series 80 firing pin safeties, 1911 Swartz safeties. 1911 series 80

frames may be used with series 70 slides or vice versa. Revolver actions may not be modified so that the

hammer can fall when the cylinder is open."

Not so.

You're looking in the wrong place.  Look one section above that one in the 2017 rules (the current one)

8.1.7 Allowable Modifications for All Divisions
The following modification rules apply to firearms in all divisions.
   A. Storage locks may be disabled or removed.
   B. Magazine disconnects may be disabled or removed.

So yes, your pistol with the magazine disconnect disabled/removed is absolutely 100% legal for IDPA (assuming something else that is disallowed hasn't been done to it).

Don't ask how I know, but you will drive the RO's absolutely
crazy if you retain the mag disconnect, and have to insert
a mag into the gun to drop the hammer.     :eatdrink:
I know that from shooting a Hi Power in USPSA...

On a related note; my middle finger is long enough to stick up into the mag well and push on the mag safety there by allowing me to drop the hammer without inserting a mag.