Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compensators

Specialneeds

2 hours ago, Specialneeds said:

Mike, thank you.

I will trend towards soft. Less fatigue will hold better during use.

Tell me about springs?

springs change how the gun feels and how it returns when fired. Recoil springs should be tuned to get the dot to return to where it left from, in general terms, too much spring can drive the dot down too far too light can leave it too high. The main spring (hammer) also affects how the slide starts its cycle, heavier springs will slow the slide speed changing the feel and recoil spring balance, you can also play with the firing pin stop shape, a square pin stop will take slow the initial slide movement similar to a heavier main spring.  

pile on top of all this how much break affect are you getting from your comp and load? how heavy is your barrel and slide assembly? how heavy is your slide? are you running a shock buffer? all these things change how the gun feels and returns.

my 2 cents is build a gun YOU think is cool (perception is reality in this case) then build a load that makes PF with a 115-125 bullet and a reasonable powder in you gun (barrels vary a ton so your gun is the only one that counts) that runs and feeds in your gun, then go to the range with a selection of springs and test and adjust till you find a combination that works for you in your gun.  I don't care if my GM buddy runs a X# spring in his gun, I need to find the spring combination that gets the dot to return to where it left in my gun with me shooting it.

6 hours ago, Specialneeds said:

With a frame mounted dot... why a straightwall cartridge? Undecided between a serendipity or mount like alchin and the sts2/rts2.

This applies only if you are planning on using a full size C-More like the Slideride.  It is big and tapered cases have trouble ejecting under it.  It can be done, but most times an offset frame mount is required.  For straight walled cases like 38SC and 40sw, that is not the case.  The Serindipity is a bod idea.  Too flimsy.  If you like the RTS2, go with A Cheely Custom frame mount.  They are already set at the correct angle so you don't max out your adjustments.

54 minutes ago, Specialneeds said:

What range of main spring weights do you adjust with? 23lbs is considered standard in production pistols. Also, how does one estimate a size for recoil spring strength?

Finally.. the progressive/variable springs from wolff?? This snake oil or, do they work?

most people are in the 15 to 19 pound range on main springs and 7 to 10 for recoil springs. lots of people like variables, its all about feel and function. one other thing to remember is function is king, I see too many people who find they like the feel of the lightest possible spring and end up not 100% reliable. 

I would start with whatever comes in the gun from the builder and see where I needed to go from there. 

PS before you go too far down this rabbit hole,  remember if we hand Christian or JJ a gun with a crappy comp and all the wrong springs but its 100% reliable they will still beat us all

Edited by MikeBurgess

21 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

PS before you go too far down this rabbit hole,  remember if we hand Christian or JJ a gun with a crappy comp and all the wrong springs but its 100% reliable they will still beat us all

@csailer comped Hi-Point, when?