Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnum primers

3Dflyer

How will using magnum primers vs standard small pistol primers affect the exact same load?

Example is  magnums used in place of regular Winchester primers the same projectiles and same powder drop?Winchester

Is power factor affected?  Felt recoil?

How will using magnum primers vs standard small pistol primers affect the exact same load?

Example is  magnums used in place of regular Winchester primers the same projectiles and same powder drop?Winchester

Is power factor affected?  Felt recoil?

magnum primers don't burn hotter they just burn longer. Assuming you're using same brand of primers. Rifle primers are def hotter in comparison and will give pf bump

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Hello: I have tested Winchester small pistol, small rifle and small pistol magnum primers. The magnum primers gave me the fastest load with the same powder drop. It was between 15-20fps more than small rifle primers. Felt recoil was the same. The cowboy shooters use small pistol magnum primers for their low power loads. I use small rifle primers for my major 9mm loads and small pistol primers for my 9mm pistols and PCC. Federal small pistol for my light trigger pull Glock 34 and revolvers. Thanks, Eric

Never noticed a difference in power, in the target loads we normally use. What I did find out is that magnum primers are a harder material than standard, For example, in my 38/57 revolver, with a very light hammer spring. In my 38 special loads with standard Win primers, I never had a primer fail to go off. But the same load using Win magnum primers, I'll get a light strike in maybe 1 out of 10 rounds. Something to keep in mind if using a revolver or a striker fired gun with a very low hammer/striker spring.