Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Couple More G35 Q's

boo radley

Hmm....I've been shooting this G35 for a couple weeks now, and have noticed a couple things, and would appreciate the voices of experience and wisdom. :)

About 1 time out of 5, the first shot will be "sticky" because of the trigger safety. I tend to use just the tip of my finger on the trigger, and sometimes I don't apply enough pressure straight back -- it's at an angle.

I can fix this with practice, I guess, though it feels unnatural to put more finger on it, but I wondered if contouring the safety might help, too?

I have the following "mods" -- THE magwell, tungsten guide rod, Heine/Dawson sights, RS trigger kit, and Tru-Grip. The only two I'm not so certain about are the magwell and TruGrip.

The magwell is very heavy, and it seems to make the muzzle flip more, and I'm not sure I notice that much difference in recoil. It also really limits the space for the weak-hand. Normal, or is this something you get used to?

As for the Tru-Grip, man, it REALLY grips. So much so, that if I don't quite grab the pistol it's a little bit difficult to shift the grip. OTOH, once I have a proper grip, I'm locked in nicely...This might be something I appreciate more, once I'm more used to the Glock?

I'm also finding the grip in general to be pretty different. I've worn a blister, now callous just in front of the knuckle on the side of my strong-hand middle finger, from the trigger guard. I've put a lot more rounds through the 1911 w/out having a single point of friction like that -- I guess it's just Glock?

Thx. Just trying to get a feel for what's "normal," and what's personal choice and technique.

The magwell is very heavy, and it seems to make the muzzle flip more, and I'm not sure I notice that much difference in recoil. It also really limits the space for the weak-hand. Normal, or is this something you get used to?

I'm also finding the grip in general to be pretty different. I've worn a blister, now callous just in front of the knuckle on the side of my strong-hand middle finger, from the trigger guard. I've put a lot more rounds through the 1911 w/out having a single point of friction like that -- I guess it's just Glock?

I'll respond to two of your comments:

1. Magwell. Most people like a heavy magwell. They feel it puts weight in the frame and gives the gun a better feel in recoil. Recoil is a very subjective subject. I like an aluminum magwell or no mag well. Play around and see what works for you.

2. The Glock Finger. Get used to it - it comes with shooting Glocks. I have a callus/calcium deposit in the same place from Glocks. If you don't use the 35 for Production, then thin and contour the underside of the trigger guard. It helps a lot. That mod is illegal for Production - unless you're shooting at the World Shoot :D

Good luck.

I get the same thing with Glocks. It's primarily the width of the trigger guard, IME. You quit noticing it after a while.

AFA the magwell goes, I'm with Cy, 'cept I've found I like 'em even lighter. The CA Competition Works delrin magwell would be my choice were I to throw one on.

Yeah, what they said about the finger thingy.

It took a while but I got used to having more finger on the trigger. Less finger caused it to rub AND push some shots to the side. More finger and straitening out the trigger finger (less of an angle into the trigger guard was weird at first.

After you get used to it..it's no big deal and it really doesn't affect switching to a 1911. The two are completley different in grip/shooting style.

Good luck and have fun!!! :D

That mod is illegal for Production - unless you're shooting at the World Shoot  :D

thread drift....fingers only wear away metal, they have no effect on plastic....err, American fingers that is. Czech it out! :P

*QUOTE*

The Glock Finger. Get used to it - it comes with shooting Glocks.

Not necessarily:

Try this, push the trigger safety all the way in, it sticks out just a little bit doesn't it? Take a small knife and scrape till it's flush with the trigger. This will take the sting out when the gun is fired.

If the trigger guard is getting you there's not much you can do and stay legal in some divisions.

Edited by the duck of death

Taking a razor to the safety trigger & matching to the main trigger profile is something I've done for years & years. It makes the gun MORE safe, not less safe. And it's a lot less annoying on your fingertip.

A separate issue is modifying the top of the safety trigger - the part that is normally hidden by the frame. Taking material off this area is sometimes done with custom trigger jobs, including the "heavy" trigger-bar spring. More safe or less safe is maybe up for debate on that.

Edited by eric nielsen

Some good information, here!

I feel a lot better, now, about "Glock Finger," or "Knuckle." I could care less about the callous, but was concerned I had some unorthodox grip not in harmony with Glock Perfection...

I might mess with shaping the trigger safety's profile a tad. Razor blade and sand-paper?

I think, too, I'll lose the magwell. For sure the gun is more..."bouncy" without it, but this doesn't bother me, and my impression is that it returns to target a little more quickly. I do like the tungsten guide rod, however.