Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier match when unclassified

Bifurcate

This should be easy, but I don't really get it.

Shooter has 3 matches under their belt. Classifiers with scores of

AUGUST 25%

JULY 50%

JUNE 75%

If shooter shoots a 6 stage special classifier at

According to the rules, the first four of six will be accounted for, but also special classifier matches are ranked high to low. What is the shooter's percentage?

Does the 75% from June count at all? Does the classifiers of 60 50 40 get combined with the previous three scores and drop the lowest two (75+50+50+60 = 58.75)? BUT THEN... you'll have 8 scores existing, meaning it would be immediately reclassified/scored to (90+80+70+60+50+50 = 66.6)?

I guess I'm wondering because depending on the numbers for something before a special classifier match it could help or hurt you.

Edited by Bifurcate

66.6667 B class.  The top 5 from the classifier match and the July match will count.  The June will be too old.  The next one to drop off would be the July match and then the 50% from the classifier match.  After the initial classification only scores above 55% will count since this shooter will be a B class shooter.  

There is a possibility that the 90% won't count initially due to being so high over the initial classification.  If that is the case then the initial classification would be 64.166.  Then it is the 80-40 and the June/July matches that count.

I thought the system uses the 6 most recent scores for initial classification. This would only count the classifier match scores ignoring the previous scores. Then the classifier match scores are ranked in descending order so the classification would be (90+80+70+60)/4. Of course, I’m probably missing something.

This is the way I understand it and this is what happened to me when Single Stack went permanent and they ran the archived classifiers en mass.

When the special match scores are turned in, 2 things are going to happen. First the initial classification where the best 4 of the most recent 6 will count.

So, we have 75,50,25 (Jun, Jul, Aug) and then the special match happened. Using the high to low sort, the 6 are 75,50,25,90,80,70. Dump the 25&50 you get 78.75% for the initial classification. So the shooter is now an A shooter. But there are a total of 9 classifiers on file so now you get the best 6 of the most recent 8. June (75) is out due to age. So you get 90,80,70,60,50,50 or 66.67%

2 minutes ago, OdinIII said:

I thought the system uses the 6 most recent scores for initial classification. This would only count the classifier match scores ignoring the previous scores. Then the classifier match scores are ranked in descending order so the classification would be (90+80+70+60)/4. Of course, I’m probably missing something.

Classification uses the highest 6 of most recent 8. But for your initial classification, you only need 4. So in the example of OP, the June one wouldn’t be included assuming no duplicate stages were shoot. 

My understanding is that you lose the 4 count rule when something like this happens and the classification system can run like normal with 6 of the best last 8 classifiers shot.  Hence the 66.667% answer unless like in normal circumstances the 90% would get thrown out since it is more than 5% above the classification for the shooter.

15 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

My understanding is that you lose the 4 count rule when something like this happens and the classification system can run like normal with 6 of the best last 8 classifiers shot.  Hence the 66.667% answer unless like in normal circumstances the 90% would get thrown out since it is more than 5% above the classification for the shooter.

The 90% won’t get thrown out since it was used in initial classification. As an example, if he had shot one more match and had 4 classifiers, those classifiers would have been used to come up with initial classification then the classifier match score of 90 would of got thrown out most likely for being too high. 

Just now, HoMiE said:

The 90% won’t get thrown out since it was used in initial classification. As an example, if he had shot one more match and had 4 classifiers, those classifiers would have been used to come up with initial classification then the classifier match score of 90 would of got thrown out most likely for being too high. 

I was kind of going back and forth on my thinking on the 90%.  That is why I computed it both ways in my initial post.  I know a person can have an initial classification up at M/GM but with the other lower scores mixed in I was thinking that it might get that 90% tossed.

3 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

I was kind of going back and forth on my thinking on the 90%.  That is why I computed it both ways in my initial post.  I know a person can have an initial classification up at M/GM but with the other lower scores mixed in I was thinking that it might get that 90% tossed.

Since the shooter only had 3 scores, they would still be unclassified. Then when the scores for the 6 classifier scores go in, at that points I think they will just use the best 6. Then as you continue to shoot they look at the latest 8 and take top 6. If any are duplicates, you get the higher even if it was shot early, a worse more recent run doesn’t count against you. 

Last year i shot an all classifier match for a division I've never shot before, with scores ranging between 67+ and 83+%.  At that time, 4 highest out of 6 total scores got accepted and 80% was my initial classification.  A week later, upon the next classification system run, my percentage became 76.1%  and 6 out of 6 were used.  The following week, it went back up to 80% and only 4 highest are used again with 2 lowest scores being 5% below current class flagged as B 

Edited by nasty618

• 2 weeks later...

This exact scenario happened to me this year in limited. Still unclassified after first 3 classifiers, then add in 6 more for special classifier match. Those last 6 were sorted with highest being most recent. Initial classification was the 4 highest from special classifier. In this example: 90, 80, 70, and 60 = 75% (A class). Then the next week it recalculates top 6 of 8  (add in 75 and 50) for initial classification % of 70.83%, but still A class. The 40 and 50 are the lowest 2 of 8, so not counted, and the June score of 25 is never used. From that point forward scores below 70% are flagged for below A class, and you go up from there.

2 hours ago, J_Allen said:

This exact scenario happened to me this year in limited. Still unclassified after first 3 classifiers, then add in 6 more for special classifier match. Those last 6 were sorted with highest being most recent. Initial classification was the 4 highest from special classifier. In this example: 90, 80, 70, and 60 = 75% (A class). Then the next week it recalculates top 6 of 8  (add in 75 and 50) for initial classification % of 70.83%, but still A class. The 40 and 50 are the lowest 2 of 8, so not counted, and the June score of 25 is never used. From that point forward scores below 70% are flagged for below A class, and you go up from there.

Makes sense to me I think. 

Maybe it can can be summarized that you get one “process” a week, and that your process works oldest to newest as you would expect but you won’t “skip” initial classification rules even though you have more than the 6 required.

10 hours ago, Bifurcate said:

Makes sense to me I think. 

Maybe it can can be summarized that you get one “process” a week, and that your process works oldest to newest as you would expect but you won’t “skip” initial classification rules even though you have more than the 6 required.

Exactly. However, I did the math a little wrong in the above example. I had reversed the August and June scores, so after the initial classification of 75%, then the the next two scores of 50 and 50 are used (40 and 25 are lowest 2 of recent 8 scores, and June’s 75 is not used), so then 66.67% but still A class. Then only scores above 70% are used. I don’t think you get the “B” flags until you have 6 scores counted. So if you only did a special classifier, the top 4 would give you initial percent and classification, the next week it would run all 6 and give you a new lower percentage, since the 2 lowest scores would be factored in, but your overall class would stay the same. Then you would start using “B” flags for new scores that were uploaded.