Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Division Question

p3ordie

Hello,

I think the last time I posted was a year or two ago, I have been shooting L10 with a Springfield SS 1911 .40S&W. Every mag change on every stage last week was a jam. To make a long story short I'm going to try production untill I can figure out whats wrong with my 1911. I was told in production class that I would be scored minor no matter what Cal. I shoot, .45, .40, 9mm etc.. Is this correct? I was looking to buy a Springfield XD and I'm just wondering what cal. makes sense for production? I was thinking why should I shoot .40 cal and only get minor points when 9mm gets the same. Any help would be appreceiated,

Thanks,

Mark

Lynn,

That's not a bad idea! that way I could always use it later as L10? Thanks for the speedy answer!! I've seen a few posts that points out it makes good sense to use 9mm for production but I've seen too many times were that just bounce off a popper.

Mark

There was a veery good Front Sight article a few issues back (?) about 9mm vs 40 for Production. Check it out, see whay people thought.

9MM is cheaper to shoot, 40 seems to have less kick, in IPSC 9 holds more, but USPSA it's all 10 anyway..

I like loading for one caliber, still after a good 40 SS, and I'll be all set..

the downloaded .40 ususally shoots a little softer..but the 9mm (for me) is cheaper and easier to reload for or buy..

I haven't had any problem shooting steel with my 9x19 at 128 to 130 PF..

If you shoot IPSC 9mm is an advantage as there is no capacity limit..

and a .40 would allow you to shoot L10 or limited with the same gun.

Kind of depends what you prefer..

My situation is similiar. Been wanting to put a Production rig together just to try something new. Went with a XD-40 Tact as I already have the goodies to reload .40 and I could use the XD as a backup if the L-10 single-stack is inoperative.

2.5 of Clays behind a 185 Precision Black Bullet with a 1.125 OAL chronoed at 722 fps for a 135PF. Brought some 2.6 of Clays loads left over from the chrono work to the range and had a few guys try it out. All were impressed with how soft it was. The stock spring in a XD 5" is 18lb. Drop in a 16lb spring for 40 minor. Your 1911 single stack springs will fit the XD 5". Next stop is to have Rich at Canyon Creek do the trigger job.

I was shooting an LDA 9mm for Production before, but I had about 3500 plated West Coast bullets that my P16 Para no longer liked. I have a Sig 229 sitting in my safe that I hadn't fired in a while that I wanted to put into use. Since I had all those bullets lying around and the Sig waiting to be fired I figured what the heck? I'm now shooting the 229 with the West coast 180's loaded down to about 750 fps which makes it right at 135 pf. I dropped a 13 pound spring into the Sig and I'm having fun with a pistol I haven't used since I picked up my Para Limited Blaster a few years back. Yes it has that double action first shot, but I really haven't felt any kind of disadvantage. I am hoping to make B Prod with it.

Vince