Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 Carry Optics

HCH

I’ve been shooting CO with a G17 for awhile now, and just decided to take the plunge into the CZ world. I picked up a used SP-01 for $500, and am wondering what to do now. 

I know some trigger work work is going to be needed. What kind of trigger can I get with CGW springs, or would I be better off with one of their other kits? I’m not liking the price tag on the full action kit ($300).....

Is any brand of basepad noticeably better than anything else?

I've been using a dovetail mount on the Glock, and haven’t minded it. Is one mount much better than the next for a CZ?

Also, if anyone has any of these parts laying around that they don’t need, send me a PM. All I have at this point is a gun and one mag.   

The CGW springs help, but what you really need to do is polish the sear cage, trigger bar, and the rest of the internals. If you look at the stickied CZ Tuning thread, you'll see that appropriate polishing will take the trigger pull down into the desirable 7DA/3SA range and also remove all the grit, which won't necessarily happen with just spring replacement.  I just tore down my first CZ this weekend (the Phantom) and went to town with 1000 and 1500 grit sandpaper. It took longer than expected, but it really wasn't bad. And the Phantom is the most complex model they make, with the fewest online resources. The SP-01 will be significantly easier and there are comprehensive guides online. I had to figure out the Phantom reassembly on my own. It was.... frustrating. 

My trigger went from virtually unusable crap (12DA/8SA with ungodly amounts of grit and take up) to a single action break that rivals my CZ Custom Shadow Target. I still need to work on reducing the takeup and bringing down the DA pull just a little bit. Point is, if you're doing this on the cheap, you really don't need to go crazy with the parts. However, getting the SPG-K1 ($17) is highly recommended and has the best ROI of any parts you'll install to help the DA pull.  Getting the CGW hammer will be the biggest help to the SA pull.  The Short Reset Kit is nice and will help you bring down your split times, but matches aren't won with fast splits unless you're at the upper M/GM echelons and looking for that extra half a percent of edge, so don't feel bad about not installing it.  Either way, just call up CGW and talk to David or one of their guys about options and recommendations. They're super helpful.

I have TTI and Taylor Freelance basepads. Both work, both make 141mm with tubes that are in spec. TTI are slightly nicer fit and finish, TF require an allen key to be removed, but they're cheaper and (probably) a little more secure. Not sure if that security is worth anything though as I've never had a TTI pop off.  If you shoot somewhere with very fine grit and need to clean your mags after every stage, go TTI.

You'll likely want to head over to Grams Engineering at some point and buy his replacement spring/follower kits. You'll get an extra 2 rounds per mag. My local match often has 22 round stages. The GE kits save me from having to do a reload.

No idea about dovetail mounts. I've had all my slides (4 or 5 now) milled by @PrimaryBruce at Primary Machine. Excellent work, fast turnaround. Can't recommend him enough. I think he has a 10% off code for forum members as well.

1 hour ago, ClangClang said:

The CGW springs help, but what you really need to do is polish the sear cage, trigger bar, and the rest of the internals. If you look at the stickied CZ Tuning thread, you'll see that appropriate polishing will take the trigger pull down into the desirable 7DA/3SA range and also remove all the grit, which won't necessarily happen with just spring replacement.  I just tore down my first CZ this weekend (the Phantom) and went to town with 1000 and 1500 grit sandpaper. It took longer than expected, but it really wasn't bad. And the Phantom is the most complex model they make, with the fewest online resources. The SP-01 will be significantly easier and there are comprehensive guides online. I had to figure out the Phantom reassembly on my own. It was.... frustrating. 

My trigger went from virtually unusable crap (12DA/8SA with ungodly amounts of grit and take up) to a single action break that rivals my CZ Custom Shadow Target. I still need to work on reducing the takeup and bringing down the DA pull just a little bit. Point is, if you're doing this on the cheap, you really don't need to go crazy with the parts. However, getting the SPG-K1 ($17) is highly recommended and has the best ROI of any parts you'll install to help the DA pull.  Getting the CGW hammer will be the biggest help to the SA pull.  The Short Reset Kit is nice and will help you bring down your split times, but matches aren't won with fast splits unless you're at the upper M/GM echelons and looking for that extra half a percent of edge, so don't feel bad about not installing it.  Either way, just call up CGW and talk to David or one of their guys about options and recommendations. They're super helpful.

I have TTI and Taylor Freelance basepads. Both work, both make 141mm with tubes that are in spec. TTI are slightly nicer fit and finish, TF require an allen key to be removed, but they're cheaper and (probably) a little more secure. Not sure if that security is worth anything though as I've never had a TTI pop off.  If you shoot somewhere with very fine grit and need to clean your mags after every stage, go TTI.

You'll likely want to head over to Grams Engineering at some point and buy his replacement spring/follower kits. You'll get an extra 2 rounds per mag. My local match often has 22 round stages. The GE kits save me from having to do a reload.

No idea about dovetail mounts. I've had all my slides (4 or 5 now) milled by @PrimaryBruce at Primary Machine. Excellent work, fast turnaround. Can't recommend him enough. I think he has a 10% off code for forum members as well.

Awesome. Thanks!

I set my SP-01 up for carry optics earlier this year, I pretty much went with the CGW Pro Package but I went with the CZ Competition hammer instead and an 11lbs hammer spring. I polished all the internals and my trigger pull is under 6lbs DA and 2lbs SA. I also had CZC mill the slide with thier RDS plate system. I like the option of being able to swap out different optics if I want. I've been using the TTI extension but I have also heard great things about the Hennings as well, both are easy to take off and clean if needed. 

2 hours ago, mveto said:

I set my SP-01 up for carry optics earlier this year, I pretty much went with the CGW Pro Package but I went with the CZ Competition hammer instead and an 11lbs hammer spring. I polished all the internals and my trigger pull is under 6lbs DA and 2lbs SA. I also had CZC mill the slide with thier RDS plate system. I like the option of being able to swap out different optics if I want. I've been using the TTI extension but I have also heard great things about the Hennings as well, both are easy to take off and clean if needed. 

What was the turnaround on the milling? I’m not too fond of being married to one dot either—hence why I’ve never milled the Glock

19 minutes ago, HCH said:

What was the turnaround on the milling? I’m not too fond of being married to one dot either—hence why I’ve never milled the Glock

They quoted me 8 weeks and I had it back in 4, I think it all depends on their work load and how quick you’ll get it back.

To get a really good trigger you will need a competition hammer, CGW sear & for short reset a new Disconnector. 11lb hammer spring & extended firing pin. Then you will need to polish the trigger bar and hammer strut. Do not polish your hammer hooks or sear as they are only surface hardened!

On 9/3/2019 at 9:04 PM, mveto said:

They quoted me 8 weeks and I had it back in 4, I think it all depends on their work load and how quick you’ll get it back.

CGW quoted me a 2 week turnaround and they hit the date exactly. CO has surged upward and almost all the shops are busy milling slides.

And to the original OP Springer Precision offers  plates for dovetail mount for the SP-01 but it will not fit the SP-01 Shadow dovetail.