Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightest non pistol grip stock

l98ster

9 hours ago, UFO said:

How about this with a sharkfin grip?

ModShot.jpg

I would love something like that, but in NY, the law states “no grip that conspicuously protrudes below the action”. That leaves A LOT of ambiguity as to what that means. The problem right now is that you cannot call the state police and ask specific compliancy questions. I tried asking them about the “NY legal” AR15 grips, and they just told me it would be for a judge to decide. 

How about a Boyd's Rimfire Hunter or Pro Varmint stock. Being wood, you could sand it down and take some weight off of it, at the same time, making it fit you.

Here's an Altamont stock that weighed in at 2 lbs new, now weighs 1lb 7oz. It's a lot of work, but I just took it a little at a time and got a great result.

Just had a great idea! Any of the Thumbhole stocks, cut out the hole, no longer a thumbhole, and lightweight.

Look at this, it would be more than strong enough with the thumbhole opened up. https://www.altamontco.com/rifle-stocks/1022/PALADIN/

IMG_20190828_174043.jpg

AltamontBarracuda.jpg

Edited by UFO
Had a brilliant idea!

If you’re not from New York, you’re probably not going to believe this, but thumbhole stocks are off-limits as well.  They treat thumbhole stocks and traditional pistol grips the same way. 

Edited by l98ster

53 minutes ago, l98ster said:

If you’re not from New York, you’re probably not going to believe this, but thumbhole stocks are off-limits as well.  They treat thumbhole stocks and traditional pistol grips the same way. 

I understand that. But, if there is no hole, just an opening, it is not a thumbhole stock. See photo. Remove the whiteout area. Why wouldn't that work?

Thumbhole removed.jpg

Edited by UFO

Ahhh...very interesting. Technically, you would be turning a thumbhole stock into what looks like a Magpul!?!?!  I will talk to the guys at the range about that one. I wish I could speak to someone more official, but NOBODY (state police) can or will answer that question. Thanks for the insight!!

Here's your legal stock. Current weight is 2.2lbs, but I have seen one in person. There is a lot of extra wood that could be removed to get this down to easily under 1.5lbs.

https://www.wpgbc.com/Raptor-Autumn-Blaze-p/pws-rab.htm

Well, unfortunately it looks like they are no longer available. But, it gives you a good reference on what could be done to a thumbhole to make it compliant.

PWC Raptor.jpg

Edited by UFO

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot weekly in NY and CT.  I took an original ruger black synthetic stock and enlarged the barrel channel to fit my kidd ULW barrel.   Total gun with c-more is 3.8lbs.  The stock is just over a pound I think, I could look up the scale pic I have somewhere.    It is lighter than hogue and legal in 50 states.    

I went down the same road and I concluded my synthetic stock or hogue;   

18 hours ago, jrdoran said:

I shoot weekly in NY and CT.  I took an original ruger black synthetic stock and enlarged the barrel channel to fit my kidd ULW barrel.   Total gun with c-more is 3.8lbs.  The stock is just over a pound I think, I could look up the scale pic I have somewhere.    It is lighter than hogue and legal in 50 states.    

I went down the same road and I concluded my synthetic stock or hogue;   

Good point.  Nothing wrong with the Ruger black synthetic stock.  Since I had one laying around, I use it for RFRI.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, l98ster said:

UFO,

here are the pictures of the modified boyd evolution for NY. No longer a “thumb hole”. 

V6qaLORW62sdrXbAsEw-TPip4FU1UMhCvzwM2qIZznZ_DzbCS2Z0aaGpvEVrOdYF1n-omHpKkMNqX-qt

Still not able to see your pictures. Anybody else having that problem?