Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

COAL

My ATI must have a long throat.  I'm loading bullets down to 1.11 inches and I still cannot manually eject a round.  I shoots fine but I think the bullet is grabbing the rifling and pretty much the only way to get it out is shoot it.  I'm afraid of getting feeding issues if I go to short.  So how short is to short?  I did have a feed ramp cut into the barrel and its very reliable but frustrating.

Depends on the precise brand bullet you're using (the shape of the bullet).

If you run The Plunk Test - shorten up a few, and see how short you have to go to

be able to "manually eject a round".   If bullet PLUNKS into place and spins and

will drop out when inverted, you're good to go.

Run the test, find out how short you have to go with the particular bullet you're using,

and then see if that's too short, or do you have to redevelop the load by decreasing

the powder charge and working back up, slowly, with a chrono.

Have you done a plunk test? It's a little easier with a pistol barrel that you can take out and manipulate easier, but it still can be done. If you have done that and the round comes out easy then there may be something about your extractor that is not catching the round when you manually operate the handle.

And round nose usually work where other profiles won't.