Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems reassembling CZ Phantom. &#%)@% Trigger return spring!

ClangClang

I just disassembled my Phantom to do a polish job and install a bunch of CGW parts (Short Reset System, Comp Hammer Decocker, lighter springs) and having a problem.  I'm 99% finished reassembling this thing but completely stumped by the TRS.  I'm at my wits end trying to get this daggum trigger return spring installed. I'm afraid I'm gonna break the damn thing.

I found some youtube vids showing the slave pin method on a CZ SP-01 Tactical, but I don't think I can do that with the Phantom which has "captive" trigger pin bosses.  I've got the pin partially inserted, then been trying to push the pin down into place with a pair of needlenose pliers and awkwardly trying to hook the spring on the pin before the spring slips. It's not going well.

Any guidance or tips?

image.thumb.png.badf1f3ca04e6e7fa45ac4d8e9a3b610.png

Edited by ClangClang

Too hard to do with trigger assembly still in gun.....if it's anything like a regular Shadow I had a really hard time and the only way "easy" was to take the whole trigger assembly and trigger bar out where you have much better access and can use your fingers instead of trying to push with needle nose pliers........also definitely use a slave pin and then install back trigger assembly and insert trigger pin, makes it WAY easier

Edited by race1911

I use a 1 dollar needle nose plier with a small half round notch filed in both jaws

It hold the spring with almost no pressure and makes it very easy to push the spring in place

Without slave pin its in in a couple of seconds.

Well, I'm pleased to say I finally got it back together. I didn't want to tear it down yet again so I persisted without the slave pin. But I moved the trigger pin to the left side of the frame which gave me more space to work on the right which is where the shorter leg of the TRS needs to drop down into the frame behind the trigger bar.  Once I moved the pin, it only took 3-4 tries to get it set.  I clamped the frame in a bench vice, laid the long leg of the TRS in the forward channel, then used a dental pick to pull the short leg of the TRS aft into its proper slot. Once in place, it only took gentle finger pressure to hold it there while I tapped the trigger pin in the rest of the way.

Also, in case anyone happens to come across this post looking for instructions on disassembling/reassembling the CZ SP-01 Phantom, one other pro tip:  Reinserting the decocker was a bit of a puzzle. Turns out you need to insert it as far is it will go, then back it out 1-2mm, then use a punch to depress the decocker arm (inside the sear cage) to allow the Decocker Lever's shaft to slip past it and fully insert.

Also, on reassembly, I must have put it together incorrectly 4 or 5 times with the hammer OVER the sear which makes the action completely lock up.  The hammer hooks need to be UNDER the sear. The only way I could find to unlock the action was to drive out the sear cage pin, drop all the parts, and start over completely. When you're reassembling, you have to ensure the hammer is rotated all the way forward on the strut (i.e. decocked position) when you slide the assembled sear cage into the Phantom's "housing insert frame" (no idea what to call it, it's unique to the Phantom).

On 9/2/2019 at 12:32 AM, Hansb57 said:

I use a 1 dollar needle nose plier with a small half round notch filed in both jaws

It hold the spring with almost no pressure and makes it very easy to push the spring in place

Interesting. Can you post a photo of these modified pliers? I'm having trouble envisioning which axis you carved the notch into. Thanks!

I used to have a CZ Phantom. Used to being the key words. Didn't think it would be too bad to completely disassemble and reassemble to put in a lighter spring package.  I've got an SP01 Tactical, a couple Accu Shadows, a couple Shadow 2's.  Shouldn't be any more difficult than the SP01 Tactical, right?  Holy crap, I was never more frustrated trying to reassemble a gun than I was with that damn Phantom!  It doesn't help that I have big hands and I was constantly fumbling up the small springs on the sear cage.  And like the OP said, I kept locking up the hammer on reassembly before I figured out what I was doing wrong. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/1/2019 at 9:32 PM, Hansb57 said:

I made this mod to a pair of pliers a few years ago. The pliers have served me very well.