Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

compensators and muzzle flip cancellation

gianmarko

Hi all

i have been reading a lot about comps, loads to get it to work, etc, and a lot of more or less informed opinions and tests on the matter

however i have never seen any "scientific" approach at measuring the effectiveness of a compensator, and for "scientific" i mean a test where a gun is mounted on a bench and  the gas induced muzzle flip is measured separately from the flip induced by the slide hitting the rear end travel, and the difference in effectiveness of different compensator designs in similar conditions

has anybody ever made these sorts of tests?

2 hours ago, gianmarko said:

i have never seen any "scientific" approach at measuring the effectiveness of a compensator,

I've seen them, here at BE, for both 9mm and .223, 

but I suspect each comp's effectiveness may vary with the powder

used, the amount of powder and the bullet weight.

Way too many variables. Barrel length, 9mm/super, barrel holes, how many holes, hole shape, comp chamber number size shape depth layout, baffle hole dia, powder charge, bullet weight. Then you can start to play with slide weight barrel weight grip weight weight balance spring rates main and recoil.

And on top of that despite what you may hear it just doesnt matter that much.

If one comp design concept was enough better to make a actual difference in the HF we can shoot you would see all the big players running the setup. But you see many comp designs with and without barrel holes at the top level of the sport.

Ph and muzzle flip is not really the enemy, quickly returning to where it was is the real goal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

thanks for the links, im checking those out

"Ph and muzzle flip is not really the enemy, quickly returning to where it was is the real goal."

i agree. i see a lot of colleague shooters who spend tons of time and money tuning the gun and installing fancy and expensive comps on their pistols and drilling multiple holes in slides and barrels, and they all look down at the simple design of my CM comp :D but i suspect all this is a big illusion. i noticed top shooters going from one brand and design of guns to another and still kick everybody else's assso it probably does not matter that much. 

15 hours ago, yigal said:

from 1986-1988 i did  many tests after a lot calculations ,but not from bench. i pictured this with hi frame camera.

my  best results was with light  al.  compensators with steel  inserts. one of them shot over 70k.

Hi Yigal

i am considering building a comp for my czechmate made of alu, in order to reduce barrel/comp total weight and see if that will at least partially solve the barrel failures

do you think alu would be strong enough for this application? 

1 hour ago, gianmarko said:

Hi Yigal

i am considering building a comp for my czechmate made of alu, in order to reduce barrel/comp total weight and see if that will at least partially solve the barrel failures

do you think alu would be strong enough for this application? 

KneelingAtlas: ask him. this comp for CM  his baby.😉

i used steel comps on my old cz75 guns and  from al.7075 on my jericho 941 9mm guns.