Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mighty Armory dies?

TANFARM

On 8/2/2020 at 4:57 PM, Akkid17 said:

I finally had to give up on my MA dies, they were awesome for a while but when I switched to jacketed bullets in 9mm it would have about 3-5% of the cases that would not have enough tension to hold the bullet securely and I was getting pretty bad setback. I used Zero 147gr JHP, PD 124gr JHP, and MG 124gr JHP's and they all had the issue so after sorting and pulling about 120 bullets I just put my RCBS back in the press and I'll just deal with bottleneck brass. (measured random sample of bullets all were .355 or greater, I was not over flaring my cases I backed out my expander until the bullet barely sat by itself in the case mouth. I even tried a few of the failed cases by resizing them and then pushing a bullet into the case mouth by hand and it would sink all the way in. I had this happen on several different headstamps)

The 40 die was causing serious scarring on the brass and it was beginning to require a lot more force to size brass, they case gauged beautifully and I liked not having the bottle neck but I'm not going to deal with the headache of messing with those dies anymore. 

I used hornady one-shot lube, which I know is a no-no, so it's probably mostly my fault for the scratches in the bore of the die. 

I will say that I am a 100% believer in their decapping and swage back up dies, they are awesome and easy to set up and clean.

If the TNT die has solved these issues I may consider investing in a set in the future but for now rcbs and hornady will work just fine.

wait, what? Why is one shot a no no?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Been using old ass Dillon dies for 8 years, accuracy at 50, 60, even 70 yards has been great.... if it ain’t broke don’t fix it... but I understand into looking for something better.... I too was looking into MA dies, and FW DIES, and maybe in the future when I automate I will get different dies. 

• 4 months later...

Hello All, Here’s a bit of info for those that have had set back bullets.

When you flare/expand measure you case inside dimension. It should be .348-.349. That allows for .006 tension for seating and holding. Use a taper crimp die and finish the mouth diameter to .376-.378.

Push back problem solved.

FYI; Flaring to the same spec for undersized cases is way to much for spec sizing. Think about it, if a case is undersized you have to open the top to an extreme for a bullet to set and seat. Just raise your flare die! 
If you’d like to discuss give me a call. 

Wayne