Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ace Skeleton Stocks

D.Hayden

Are the Ace stocks (the longer one) any higher/lower than a 'normal' A2 stock?

Wondering if the sight picture through the scope would change.

I'm about 6'2" (getting shorter with age :) )

I'm interested in knowing if the they're longer/shorter as well, or if I can add a buttplate/pad on it if i need it.

They not only look cool, but also comfortable.

Thanks..........

I'm about 6'7", the ace skeleton stock with the long recoil pad, combined with an eagle ergogrip and the CMC flat trigger makes my Ar carbine a really nice fit.

Without a buttpad, the stock is a hair shorter than an A2 (might be A1 length, but I didn't measure it and have never shot an A1 length to compare). With the stock buttpad it is about the same as an a2, perhaps a tad longer (unlike the a2 with trapdoor, the profile of the pad isn't straight, so it's an aproximate average of the curve). With the long pad, it's a bit longer than an A2. If you really needed longer, you could probably even work some shims under the pad.

As for cheek weld and height. The uncompressed foam is similar in thickness to the plastic on an A2 stock. It can compress where the A2 material can't. Also since it is basically a slip on sleeve and thus it can be on uneven, affecting the thickness of the material. Overall, I'd say it's nominally equivalent, but more comfy.

If you aren't happy with it, you can always do some nice cord-wrap on it which you can probably eke some raised cheek height out of.

Overall, I would say it should please a wider variety of folks than the a2, it's comfy, and it's light.

I don't like the foam on the ACE as it makes sliding my cheek weld around difficult. It also grabs my beard when I cant to handguard sights.

A lot of people seem to like a paracord wrap around the tube. It gives nice traction, doesnt feel like foam, looks cool, and plus you like you know .. have some paracord around just in case you need to tie up a Metric target as part of the course description.

Yeah, everything I disliked about the one I tried had to do with the foam and it's sponginess. A stock is supposed to be hard wood, or plastic. Spongy don't work for me. The paracord sounds like a good fix, but why bother? I like standard A2 and even A1 stocks just like they are.

BTW Dave, from what I could tell, the cheek weld was identical to a standard A2 stock as far as where my cheek hit it, the foam just didn't feel right to me ;-)

--

Regards,

For you really tall guys, where an A2 is still too short, the Vltor stocks have a nice feature. In addition to mounting normally on a standard rifle extension, they can also be used on a carbine extension (like for an adjustable stock). The Vltor rifle stocks come with a cam pin that allows them to be positioned at a variety of different lengths beyond normal A2 length. A lot of the 6'4" and over shooters like this feature a lot. Remember to use the carbine spring and buffer though...

I am over 6' so I also had to extend the butt plate on my A2 to make it feel right and I found the Sierra adjustable butt plate to be the shjt at $49 from Sinclair International. It allows for length and rotational adjustment with hex lock screws and has held up to two years of quite hard use (ask anyone who shoots with me if I baby my rifles when I use them).

***** (Joe Bob gives this one 5 stars).

--

Regards,

I use the same adjustable butt plate as george on my ar-10 with a2 stock, it works well. and is nice quality for $60. It adds weight though.

The VLTOR stock is also nicely adjsutable. I didn't find it terribly comfy, but it's more comfy than astandard collapsible, and it's definitely light.