Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stepping up 38 short colt.

Joe4d

Ok getting the itch again, shot a pin match, didnt embarrass myself first match of any kind in almost a decade. 
Shot my bear loads 180's over 2400 in revolver only to find I was way over gunned.. The revolver division rules are 5 pins 1 foot from BACK of table. 15 seconds par time, 10 second penalty ( I think) per left pin.
Had a misfire on a stage, ( cci primers, yeh I know, my bad) Left couple pins, had plenty of time if I coulda stuck the reload. Moonclips and 357 cases  ( 686 pro series) dont make for sticking reloads. Was think of picking up some 38 SC just for this situation,,, only being used as a quick reload. WOuld probably load with the 160's or 147 TC's .
Did a search but only finding folks that want  bare minimum for other games.  So basically has anyone tried to load these up a bit to match factory 9mm or 38 special ? Say 140 ish pf ?
Have tightgroup, WST and BE86 on hand..

Not in the 140 zone but my load is 3.8 American Select, 147 gr. Blues, 1.2 OAL. Passed chrono at Area 1 with average 131 PF. Even though my current action job will light off well-seated Winchesters, I use Fed primers on match ammo. If you are needing a starting point for a particular powder you like, use the 9mm data and work your way up.

Got plenty of tight group and 158's, could go 3.0 TG and see what I get. Also think I should maybe just get my cylinder chamfered. Dang reloads shouldnt be that hard. Or I guess I could do both.
SO basic midrange 9mm data should cross over to this case ? Capacity about the same ?
Ladder I did with 38 special cases and 358 147 TC coated bullets at 1.450 and American Select.
Gun was a 5 " pro series S&W 686. 
Range brass 38spc.
Powder American Select.
WSP primers,
1.450 OAL
147 Grain moly .358 Precision bullet LTC,
7 shots each.

3.8 grs,  Av 781 SD 19
4.0grs    AV 835   SD 15
4.2 grs,  Av 851   SD 10
4.4 grs,   AV 882   SD 7.2.

Would like to get up around 1000 with this bullet in SC cases if possible,, or 900's with the 158's, probably need a slower powder,,, Been wanting to try 244 in several applications.

Edited by Joe4d

As far as the moonclip on reloading; the realization is if your moonclip is properly matched to the brass brand and your technique is good the length of the case wont hold you back that much. However the distinct advantage of case length is more on the ejection, short cases cooperate more to clear the cylinder if you should short stroke the extractor in the heat of the moment. With that said, my suggestion is to get you some Starline Long colt brass to capitalize on the shorter than 357 length and still have the option to load light or have that extra capacity to for stiffer powder charges without the limitations of the short colt and pressure concerns if you so choose. (I find your accuracy is less finicky with long colt vs short colt with 357 cylinder jumps). Invest in some TK customs clips made for starline brass and you have a dependable setup. As far as powders...I saw a suggestion for WSF, thats a good choice for stiffer 38 special +p type loads loads but is flexible enough that it can be downloaded enough with heavy bullets for a soft impulse for control too. For pins Id say a heavy bullet like a 160 with fast powders such as Titegroup, Accurate #2, or N320 will knock them down and have quick sight return. 

Edited by BallisticianX

Pretty happy with BE 86, looks right in the burn rate of WSF, maybe a bit faster, my main loads will be in 38 cases, most likely 158 SWC as I have a bunch,, as mentioned this game puts revolver pins on back of table, so no need for the heavy 180's. Was first time shooting there so didnt know what rule set they would use. Do have good TK moonclips but need to get a few specifically for the starline. Or at least see what thickness I need. Probably already have some. Be loading the SC brass with 147 TC's. As mentioned only be for sticking a reload.  As they give a 10 second penalty for a pin on the table and you have a 15 second par time.. Should be able to run my 7 rounds and stick a reload for a makeup or 2 . See what I can do I guess , get the 147's up around 900 be  plenty.

18 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Pretty happy with BE 86, looks right in the burn rate of WSF, maybe a bit faster, my main loads will be in 38 cases, most likely 158 SWC as I have a bunch,, as mentioned this game puts revolver pins on back of table, so no need for the heavy 180's. Was first time shooting there so didnt know what rule set they would use. Do have good TK moonclips but need to get a few specifically for the starline. Or at least see what thickness I need. Probably already have some. Be loading the SC brass with 147 TC's. As mentioned only be for sticking a reload.  As they give a 10 second penalty for a pin on the table and you have a 15 second par time.. Should be able to run my 7 rounds and stick a reload for a makeup or 2 . See what I can do I guess , get the 147's up around 900 be  plenty.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Do yourself a favor and make sure those 147 TC dont have too much of a flat at the nose. Those 7 flats could be like brakes stopping that clip from dropping if its just out of alignment with the charge holes. For sticking reloads I run RN, nothing better to self center.  

Unfortunately your not close or I’d give you some 158 RN berry’s I got kickin around. 

15 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

good point,,,  I guess they best answer is clean the table with the first 7,, LOL,,,  maybe look for a box of 500 rn .358's next time I order bullets.

humm was almost close, was thinking of Pike fishing Seneca last weekend, but decided to wait till Sept after vacation season is over and Id probably have lake to my self during the week.

The finger lakes region and Seneca is still a good 200 miles from me. I’m in the mid-Hudson valley of N.Y. about 50 miles south of Albany in the foothills of the Catskill mtns. A.K.A the NYC & NJ tourist region.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk