AO1 LD Review

jripper

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

eerw, thanks for the link ordered the grips yesterday.  I hope they get here before the weekend so I can test them out. 

Also I wanted to post this video my good buddy made.  He's been a really good friend during a really bad time in my life.  I was diagnosed with tongue cancer and had surgery back in Sept to remove it.  It's been rough because 2 days after the surgery I had blood pool in my neck and almost kill me.  I don't have full strength in my hands because the surgery also involved my left arm for donor tissue for my tongue.  Also getting radiation treatment.  But the support of my family(especially my brother), friends like my buddy, and prayers I've recovered enough to go shooting.  Anyway here's the video.

Just took mine to the range before doing any mods. Very nice shooter. I do want to change out the sights and get them a bit closer to my Shadow 2 competition sights and lighten the DA and SA a little.  May try some palm swell grips in the future as well. 

So what springs were people using to replace?

And what are the options in sight changing? ( I was consistently low but attribute that to me and being so used to my Shadow 2 settings. Still, wish it were adjustable.)

I know it's just a matter of time for the grips so I'm not worrying about that.

Thanks.

Further comments and some pix to come!

Edited by lfine

1 hour ago, lfine said:

Just got my LOK bogies. Fit great. And my extended safety - will need a little filing to make the safety engage. So what's the route to take for replacing the hammer spring on this?  

can you send me a photo of the bogies on the gun. Thanks

On 11/28/2019 at 11:40 AM, lfine said:

Just got my LOK bogies. Fit great. And my extended safety - will need a little filing to make the safety engage. So what's the route to take for replacing the hammer spring on this?  

Changing the mainspring on the A01LD is the same as with a S1 or S2 with the exception that you need to take the grips off to gain access to the retaining cap pin.

By the way, changed out my springs and mine loves 124 Syntech. Very tight and accurate with it. Also tried the 150 which was no where near as good for me.

Think the only other thing I want to do at this point is change out the rear sight (at least) to have more of a sight picture like my Shadow 2.  A lot of room for me right now for the front FO to float around in.  Do we have the specs on the sights for A01 and which can be used to replace either front or rear?

Edited by lfine

6 minutes ago, lfine said:

Think the only other thing I want to do at this point is change out the rear sight (at least) to have more of a sight picture like my Shadow 2.  A lot of room for me right now for the front FO to float around in.  Do we have the specs on the sights for A01 and which can be used to replace either front or rear?

Rear dovetail is a low mount cut.

rear sight is .365 high.

• 2 weeks later...

I was torn on my A01-LD when I first got it...was too similar to my S2 and the trigger wasn't as nice which was surprising.  

However, the more I shoot it the more I like it and the build quality and materials is excellent!  I'll try the lighter hammer spring and extended firing pin to see how I like it.

Any advice on how to get the safeties off?  I do like the S2 setup a bit better for that...

46 minutes ago, uhmeebuh said:

I'll try the lighter hammer spring and extended firing pin to see how I like it.

Any advice on how to get the safeties off?  I do like the S2 setup a bit better for that...

We’ve been doing upgrades with fat comp hammers, firing pins, lighter springs and been coming out great!

lift the sear spring to get safety out

Easier to change safety on this than an S2. Just lift the spring and park it out of the way, take the right one out first, then the left. Now put in the new one. And put the spring back down. The key is taking the right one out first. 

47 minutes ago, lfine said:

Easier to change safety on this than an S2. Just lift the spring and park it out of the way, take the right one out first, then the left. Now put in the new one. And put the spring back down. The key is taking the right one out first. 

That's it?!?  Awesome - way easier then.  I assumed (incorrectly) that they were press fit in in some way...

1 hour ago, eerw said:

We’ve been doing upgrades with fat comp hammers, firing pins, lighter springs and been coming out great!

lift the sear spring to get safety out

I got a 12# and 13# on their way and see what I like best.  

Do you know if it's a single detent in there?  My safeties are kinda mushy and I've ordered the extra power detent spring to help with that...but there might be two 🙂

I installed a Fat Ghost hammer and a Rami firing pin return spring in my A01LD.  Was getting light primer strikes with a 11# mainspring and CCI and S&B primers. I had to go to a 13# spring to get reliable ignition.  Will using an extended firing pin solve the light strikes with a lighter mainspring? I never had to use one in my S2 so I don’t have any experience with them.