Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uneven depth optic cut

Cam73

3 hours ago, Yondering said:

Sorry man, wish I could help, but I just can't take on any new work at the moment. 

Bummer to hear about the optics issues. I know Vortex optics have a good reputation in some circles, but I'm really not a fan of them, for a lot of the same reasons as your experiences. Pretty much any optic can break, but I've had the best results with the Trijicon RMR for carry and the Leupold DPP for competition. 

A mounting plate as shown above might be your best bet if you're wanting to move away from the Razor.

I was kidding.

The slide should really go to Primary Machine or the like for a full CO treatment. An adapter plate would put the gun over weight as it only made it by .2 oz.  I was trying to figure out why the previous owner had been running with the magazine break removed until I put it on a scale... It would be nice to run base pads in the future as well.

Im on the fence about Vortex too. They have been pleasant to deal with and willing to warranty the optic no questions asked, but their suggestion to try a Venom seems like a round about way to avoid admitting the Razor isn't fit for a slide rider. The Vemon on my TP9SFx has been great but It's just not an option or what I want to hear for this situation. 

Would anyone be willing to provide me with some rough dimensions of their CZC RDS plate? 

OAL of the plate 

center of the mounting holes and optic holes (whatever model you have) from the front of the plate 

center of extractor pin hole from the front of the plate

Kicking around some ideas with a machinist/gunsmith friend that include using a modified CZC plate.

Thanks 

On 7/21/2019 at 6:46 PM, Cam73 said:

Sorry guys, I forgot to keep up on the topic. Thanks for the replies. I've attached some pictures of the optic/optic cut. 

Of greater concern to me now is that this gun has killed 2 Vortex Razor red dots in the very very short time I've owned it. 1 failed after a little bit of practice and a steel match, the other died today after being sighted in and 1/2 of an IDPA match. I know the previous owner killed at lest one aswell. I've had great luck with the Venom on my TP9SFx but a quick search around here makes the Razor sound like a pretty expensive POS. Not sure what kind of recovery options I have for a direct milled slide like this. I believe the RTS2 has the same foot print but it sounds hit or miss as well. 

S2-1.JPG

S2-2.JPG

That's WAY too aggressive of an angle.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with this being a little steep. Also if the angle bothers you now from pure appearance standpoint it always will. Looking at the pics from the other CZ’s it looks like there is plenty of room to get some one to flatten it out if you wanted.

On 8/17/2019 at 8:08 AM, RandyBaker said:

I agree with this being a little steep. Also if the angle bothers you now from pure appearance standpoint it always will. Looking at the pics from the other CZ’s it looks like there is plenty of room to get some one to flatten it out if you wanted.

Not really an option at this point. Now that the threads are now drilled/tapped on a certain angle with the angle of the optic cut itself, trying to change the angle wouldn't be a good idea. 

• 4 months later...

Update-

I was able to find a local shop willing to cut the slide to accept the CZC rds plate and window the top of the slide. Price and machine work was good. The result, no so much...

With the plate installed on the windowed slide, magazine brake re-installed, plastic guide rod, Lok thin bogies, 17rd mag with factory plastic +2 base pad and Holosun 407a the gun is .3 oz overweight. The gun is .1 oz under with a flush base pad. I'm using a cheap scale I don't trust without some margin. 

Hindsight, I should have assured the machinist he wouldn't break through to the firing pin channel and requested he mill the plate deep like CZC does.

I think plus 4 base pads are in the 1.0 oz range so I'm on the hunt for another 1.1-2 oz of weight reduction...

Anyone have some diet ideas? I'm leaning towards milling the dust cover area of the slide over putting more windows in it for  cost/complexity sake. 

Thanks

Edited by Cam73

1 hour ago, PrimaryBruce said:

Sounds like you should just get a new slide and let us handle it all start to finish. ;)

2EUFVik.jpg?1

Sounds like I know your right and knew you would be the whole time...

When are you going to start selling S2 slides for Glock prices? 🤣

On 1/5/2020 at 3:45 PM, Cam73 said:

Update-

I was able to find a local shop willing to cut the slide to accept the CZC rds plate and window the top of the slide. Price and machine work was good. The result, no so much...

With the plate installed on the windowed slide, magazine brake re-installed, plastic guide rod, Lok thin bogies, 17rd mag with factory plastic +2 base pad and Holosun 407a the gun is .3 oz overweight. The gun is .1 oz under with a flush base pad. I'm using a cheap scale I don't trust without some margin. 

Hindsight, I should have assured the machinist he wouldn't break through to the firing pin channel and requested he mill the plate deep like CZC does.

I think plus 4 base pads are in the 1.0 oz range so I'm on the hunt for another 1.1-2 oz of weight reduction...

Anyone have some diet ideas? I'm leaning towards milling the dust cover area of the slide over putting more windows in it for  cost/complexity sake. 

Thanks

I bet there's still some weight to be lost in the slide under the red dot plate. 

Made it!!

Removed .6 oz from the dust cover area of the slide (by hand) and switched to Lok Ultralight thin bogies and Lok magazine release button. With the addition of TTI base pads, the gun is .2 oz under. Planning to order the Grams followers/springs as well.

S-2-4.JPG

S-2-3.JPG