Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Shadow 2?

Woodsk

I am enjoying carry optics and want to build up a gun for it. I do not currently own any CZs, but have been shooting an SP-01 and I like it. 

If I am going to send the gun to CGW for their improvements is there any reason to start with a Shadow 2 as the base gun vs an SP-01?

so you're starting from zero, and want a carry optics gun? made by cgw? just so i understand.

-have you handled a shadow 2?

-how committed are you to having a CO dedicated gun?

-is the sp01 a firing pin block or shadow?

to me, the biggest differences between them are the ergos and the weight. as long as you're talking shadow/shadow between them then it is all personal preference to me and not that one is soo much a better functional choice in a CO gun.

SP01 Shadow will be easier to make weight without concessions like using a polymer guide rod unless you get primary machine or similar to do a total trim with the slide cut at a cost of around 400 assuming you provide the slide. Getting an SP01 slide milled will cost you like 160 and you'll make weight no problem. 

I have both a Shadow 1 and 2 for CO and they're basically the same as far as feel goes when the buzzer starts. S2 has a wider grip profile and I find the S1 easier to grip and reach the controls but it's a pretty miniscule difference. 

MPHJ7I2.jpg

15 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

so you're starting from zero, and want a carry optics gun? made by cgw? just so i understand.

to me, the biggest differences between them are the ergos and the weight. as long as you're talking shadow/shadow between them then it is all personal preference to me and not that one is soo much a better functional choice in a CO gun.

I've been shooting limited for a number of years with a 2011. I put an RMR on my carry gun, due to eye surgery, an I am really liking it. 

I have handled a shadow 2, but have not shot one yet.

I am going to focus on Carry Optics in USPSA for 2020 (planning, building and practicing for the rest of this year)

The SP01 I have shot is a de-cocker version, not a shadow, and no work done to it.

28 minutes ago, Wrecks said:

SP01 Shadow will be easier to make weight without concessions like using a polymer guide rod unless you get primary machine or similar to do a total trim with the slide cut at a cost of around 400 assuming you provide the slide. Getting an SP01 slide milled will cost you like 160 and you'll make weight no problem. 

I have both a Shadow 1 and 2 for CO and they're basically the same as far as feel goes when the buzzer starts. S2 has a wider grip profile and I find the S1 easier to grip and reach the controls but it's a pretty miniscule difference. 

The current plan it to have Primary Machine do the optics cut (an wight reduction if i go with the Shadow 2), then send which every one I go with to CGW.

The trigger reach is a concern, as I have relatively small hands, so an SRT kit will be part of the upgrades.

It seems like you are pretty set on getting a heavier steel gun for this venture, but I would take a look at the P-10F optics ready model. I have both, the P10 F OR and a Shadow 2 that im currently having the slide cut for a dot and weight reduction. I’m going to give the Shadow 2 a try since that’s what everyone seems to think is the best, but I shoot better and I’m much faster with my P10F and it doesn’t lack in accuracy. Also, the Shadow 2 has just about everything done to it trigger wise that CZC offers. It’s very nice, but..... I just thought I would throw this out there to you. The P setup would be much cheaper on you. 

On 6/12/2019 at 8:24 AM, rowdyb said:

I'm with Rowdy. Owning 1 of both, Its hard for me to tell to much of a difference. If you are a high end shooter, you could probably tell the difference.  The one thing i will say I really do like about the S2 is the stippling on the front of the grip. I do really like that over the S1.

I feel the S2 is a little front heavy compared to the S1.

Edited by shakin_bakin

5 hours ago, shakin_bakin said:

I'm with Rowdy. Owning 1 of both, Its hard for me to tell to much of a difference. If you are a high end shooter, you could probably tell the difference.  The one thing i will say I really do like about the S2 is the stippling on the front of the grip. I do really like that over the S1.

I feel the S2 is a little front heavy compared to the S1.

Yeah I can get a SP01 for about 1/2 of the S2, which is probably the smart way to go, but I will always be looking at the Baller S2 

2 minutes ago, Woodsk said:

Yeah I can get a SP01 for about 1/2 of the S2, which is probably the smart way to go, but I will always be looking at the Baller S2 

Yea, its nice to have an S2. But when you go to purchase your backup gun like I am now, you start to wonder if it was a smart idea or not...

I have both.. as long as both have been setup the same, then it really comes down to the frame ergonomics and how each fit your hand and your draw.

go with whichever feels better and draws/aims more naturally for you