Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spaten Optimator

EricW

optimator.jpg

Spaten Optimator

The classic German dark beer, bottom fermented 'Doppel Bock'.

Flavor profile: Full bodied with a deep dark color and rich roasted malt flavor.

Original gravity: 18, 2 %

Alcohol content: 7,2 %

This is one of the few sweeter beers that I really like. At 7.2% alcohol, they ought to rename it "Buzzinator." Normally, I never buy foreign beers because they're typically skunky and nasty by the time they come over in an unrefrigerated shipping container and slink across the continent in a piping hot truck. I took a chance, and got a six-pack that tastes absolutely wonderful - nearly as good as fresh kegged beer on the East coast.

Back to the refrigerator... :rolleyes::wub:

Well, it is certainly headed into Bock and Dopplebock season and that's a great one to start things off with! (Side note for Spokanites: Jim's Homebrew on Division has a wonderful selection of imported and domestic brews that aren't widely available.)

There are a few very nice Bocks and Dopplebocks done domestically but all the ones I am familiar with come out of the upper mid-west and aren't available here. I'd go look some up for ya but my bottle collection is in storage at the moment while the "bar" gets a facelift.

I have a brown ale in the secondary and an Alt is on the brew schedule for the morning. Can't shoot so might as well brew and drink brew!

Certain things are just too good....Dark chocolate, dark coffee, and dark beer. I too love the "buzzinator." There is a restaurant in the DFW area you would love Eric. It's called The Flying Saucer (their decor is saucers glued to every surface). They have an ungodly number of beers on tap (more than fifty) including the Spaten Opimator. Hey, I just thought of another reason to have the BE forum shoot in Texas!

The season of Oktoberfest approaches.

The Optimator sounds great. I Loooooove Octoberfest. I could easily be persuaded into going to the Baltimore Brewing Company to throw a couple dozen back...........if you're interested. ;)

First Wed. in October????

You read my mind. Baltimore brewing company once made the BEST & only micro brew doppelboch I have run accross. Count me in along w/ invitees from "the 6-way race to A class" & Team Shooters Paradise GSSF I & II !! I think we might just have to find a place to sleep it off in Baltimore that night.

Spaten is harder to find here on tap, but Warstiener is everywhere..

They used to have one (that I had there) called Hell.

I had to try that, just because in english it sounded like 'Spot-In-Hell'

Warsteiner is a "fashion beer". That means "a lot advertising and far too expensive". A real beer fan here in Bavaria buys bavarian beer and nothing which was shipped around the world. You must drink beer nearly "out of the cask" so some beer fans go with a mug to the next brewery (which are often not more than a pub which makes his own beer) and get some 2 liters "to go" :D .

Nowadays the munich Oktoberfest has not much to do with "tradition". In the early days it was a fest for the farmers around munich where they bought and selled cows, pigs aso.

For a lot of the guests of the Oktoberfest it´s like "drink as much beer as you can". I don´t like the Oktoberfest. Too many people. I like drinking my beer in a "Biergarten".

When you read "Hell" on a bottle it doesn´t mean that this beer comes right out of hell :D . It´s just the opposite of a "dark" beer. "Hell" means light, bright. It´s a "lager" beer.

• 7 months later...