Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm plunk test 50/50

Bench

22 minutes ago, Bench said:

LOL, it's always great to solve a problem...that isn't a problem🤣

Something relevant to keep in mind here too is that a chamber gauge isn't your barrel. You can spend a lot of time and effort to make ammo fit the chamber gauge perfectly, when it may have been just right for your barrel at some point before that. Or in a few cases, your barrel's chamber and throat might be tighter than the chamber gauge.

Personally I prefer to do all my checking with the actual barrel it'll be shot in. That's not as convenient, without question, but I know for sure the ammo is exactly what that gun needs. I usually do that to check only my match ammo, and don't check the much larger quantity of my practice ammo except for a few rounds when setting up the dies. I do make sure to check every round that I'll fire in a match though; I've been bitten a couple times when I didn't. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Yondering said:

I prefer to check with the  barrel .  I  do that to check only my match ammo, and don't check the much larger quantity of my practice ammo

^^^   Ditto    ^^^^

I reloaded 9mm Minor for ten years and Never checked that it would chamber.

Now, I also check only match ammo - and sometimes not even Level I matches.

16 hours ago, Yondering said:

Something relevant to keep in mind here too is that a chamber gauge isn't your barrel. You can spend a lot of time and effort to make ammo fit the chamber gauge perfectly, when it may have been just right for your barrel at some point before that. Or in a few cases, your barrel's chamber and throat might be tighter than the chamber gauge.

That's kind of the idea I've been going with all along...that the barrel is the best check...I don't even have a chamber gauge. I use good dial calipers and the barrel.

52 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

^^^   Ditto    ^^^^

I reloaded 9mm Minor for ten years and Never checked that it would chamber.

Now, I also check only match ammo - and sometimes not even Level I matches.

Thanks HP Jack, do you check for high primers even though you might not be checking for chambering for all of your ammo??

Edited by Bench

Why check with a Hundo over a barrel?

1. Most barrel chambers are “looser” than the Hundo, therefore after finding OAL for cartridge, all that pass Hundo will fit in barrel.
  2. Stripping gun to use barrel takes time.
  3. Barrel only checks one at a time.
  4. Hundo matches 100 round box.
  5. Checking all ammo and not just match takes time, but it saves frustration during practice when rounds fail.

Bench, personally I think changing bullet profiles would help. I’ve found this one, in coated 147, is the most universally accepted by all my pistols. Many manufacturers sell it, SNS, ACME, Gallant and others. In short chambered pistols it can be loaded with a longer OAL, which gives you less base inserted into the tapered case.

See you at a match!

C%209mm%20147%20no%20background-850x850.

Edited by HesedTech

13 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

Bench, personally I think changing bullet profiles would help. I’ve found this one, in coated 147, is the most universally accepted by all my pistols. Many manufacturers sell it, SNS, ACME, Gallant and others. In short chambered pistols it can be loaded with a longer OAL, which gives you less base inserted into the tapered case.

I've been loading Gallant 125's and they work just fine in my plastic gun for CO but this 92 is a different issue for some reason...

Where've you been hiding, haven't seen you at any matches for some time...or just missed you in different squads?

43 minutes ago, Bench said:

Where've you been hiding, haven't seen you at any matches for some time...or just missed you in different squads?

Been picking two to three matches a month and practicing more on the other days. I see your name on practiscore on all those “south” matches. Good work!

As far as loading goes, I’m very obsessive about the process and making sure everything works. I’ve tried many samples of different of bullets, three different coated 124/125s and a FMJHP 124 this winter alone, and keep coming back to two that work in all my 9mms, the profile I posted above and Precision Delta FMJRN in 147. They just work well and shoot consistently accurate groups at 25 yards. I did switch to Sport Pistol powder because it’s about 50% cleaner than TG, can’t tell a bit of difference in recoil though.

Great hobby and look forward to seeing you soon at a match!

5 hours ago, Bench said:

Thanks HP Jack, do you check for high primers 

Oh, yeah !!   I check every box of ammo (bullet down, primers sticking up)

and then I check Every Cartridge as I load the mag -

I'm still reloading on a SDB - and get 3-4% high primers - not a problem,

I just put them into my practice pile, and most of them go off the first

time, anyway.

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Oh, yeah !!   I check every box of ammo (bullet down, primers sticking up)

and then I check Every Cartridge as I load the mag -

I'm still reloading on a SDB - and get 3-4% high primers - not a problem,

I just put them into my practice pile, and most of them go off the first

time, anyway.

Thanks HP Jack, that process'll work for me...and I just started a practice pile bowl.  Not many in there though.

5 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Been picking two to three matches a month and practicing more on the other days. I see your name on practiscore on all those “south” matches. Good work!

Great hobby and look forward to seeing you soon at a match!

Looking forward to catching up with you somewhere in the middle.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm probably off a mile, but what I see is not enough crimp--looks like some shine at the case mouth and some residual case mouth flare in the photo, but that could just be from lighting for the photo.