Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Techwell magwell grips

RBeers

I picked up a Dan Wesson Pointman Nine last month, and the only thing I think it needs is a magwell. I really like the nickel plated techwell, but I'm not real crazy about any of their grips (It may just be they're crappy photos online). I emailed VZ, they don't offer the techwell cut. Do you guys know of any manufacturers that do the techwell cut? 

I have used Techwell but now all my SS guns have Dawson Ice magwells.  I didn't change for any perceived advantage. I just bought a couple pistols with the Ice already installed and wanted to be consistent.

When using the Techwell I had the fat smooth aluminum grips and covered them in skateboard tape. It felt really good. I also tried the thin G10 aggressive grips but felt it made the gun too narrow. I think width is more important than texture for me getting a good grip on the gun.

2 years ago, I had a 1911 built, and used the Techwell dualtec agressive grips. They look, and feel exactlly like the VZ operators II grips I have on my other 1911's. Looking at Techwell's site, it looks like they currently only come in Officers length. Might try calling Techwell, and see if they can be had in the Government length. They might be able to accommodate your request. They are a very helpful bunch of guys, who shoot locally in some of our matches.

I bought a Techwell and used it with my existing grips.  I just used a Dremel to cut grooves into my grip panels as shown in this Hogue picture.  It wasn't difficult, it just took time to do it carefully.

image.png.de473051b423bd065c6f30d9b1c5ef5e.png

I did order the Techwell aggressive checker grips, although they were confiscated by my wife for a father's day present. Hopefully they'll look as good as the VZ grips that I'm use to. It's good to know that it's possible to make the cut with dremel if needed. Thanks.

Do any of you guys have experience with Dawson extended no-gap basepads and the Techwell mag wells?

I have both Dawson mag wells and Techwells.  My basepads are for Dawson no-gap Ice magwells, meaning the mags have  a little vertical play with Techwells installed.  I have in the past experienced issues with .45 1911s when there was too much vertical play in the mags. However, the PM9's with Techwells on them run fine with the no-gap basepads.  There doesn't seem to be much vertical play with the Techwells and Dawson no-gap basepads, though.  And all seems well with my break-in and zeroing shooting so far.