Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 9mm sizing die problems

I've had my 550 since 2001

I have loaded thousands of rounds on it, using the Dillon factory 9mm die set!

Had no problems, in all those years, until about 3 weeks ago, Out of 200 rounds, about half were not usable, I could take the round ,push it against the table top and the bullet would sink into the case.

I have never had this problem before!

I took out the sizing die first ,inspected it, cleaned it and readjusted it .

And proceeded to go through the other dies one at a time and readjusted each one, still had rounds that could be pushed deeper in the case!

I pulled the bullets, and check crimp, crimp was ok, just removing the bell on the case. So then I sized a few cases, took them out, after only sizing and found that neck tension was not what it should be. (bad brass)? Took some new unisized brass and sized them only, same thing , neck tension was not good in about half the cases

Well I gave Dillon a call, explained what the problem was ,and that I had  inspected, cleaned and readjusted all the dies. I told him that everything I tried I couldn't get consistent neck tension, and that I have never had this problem.

He had me hold for a couple minutes and when  he got back to me, He told me that the Dillon sizing die is only good for about 100,000 rounds then  its wore out..

I asked him will carbide wear out , he said in the Dillon die it will. 

It hard for me to believe that , But I'm having the trouble with the Dillon die !

BTW I put my lee carbide sizer in the 550 and in 200 rounds loaded, not one was rejected for setback.

Can anyone tell me if they have had this problem and what may be the cause

19 minutes ago, ghost21 said:

I've had my 550 since 2001

I have loaded thousands of rounds on it, using the Dillon factory 9mm die set!

Had no problems, in all those years, until about 3 weeks ago, Out of 200 rounds, about half were not usable, I could take the round ,push it against the table top and the bullet would sink into the case.

I have never had this problem before!

I took out the sizing die first ,inspected it, cleaned it and readjusted it .

And proceeded to go through the other dies one at a time and readjusted each one, still had rounds that could be pushed deeper in the case!

I pulled the bullets, and check crimp, crimp was ok, just removing the bell on the case. So then I sized a few cases, took them out, after only sizing and found that neck tension was not what it should be. (bad brass)? Took some new unisized brass and sized them only, same thing , neck tension was not good in about half the cases

Well I gave Dillon a call, explained what the problem was ,and that I had  inspected, cleaned and readjusted all the dies. I told him that everything I tried I couldn't get consistent neck tension, and that I have never had this problem.

He had me hold for a couple minutes and when  he got back to me, He told me that the Dillon sizing die is only good for about 100,000 rounds then  its wore out..

I asked him will carbide wear out , he said in the Dillon die it will. 

It hard for me to believe that , But I'm having the trouble with the Dillon die !

BTW I put my lee carbide sizer in the 550 and in 200 rounds loaded, not one was rejected for setback.

Can anyone tell me if they have had this problem and what may be the cause

I ditched my Dillon die after 6 months because of setback issues. It's worse with certain brass such as FC. I switched to LEE/EGW Udie and no problems at all in nearly 10 years. Just make sure the shell plate is tight and not wobbly when you push on it, then adjust sizer down until it just kisses the plate. That's about all you can do. If that doesn't work just stop using it. I have had quite a few loaders tell me they never had setback with a Dillon but when I tell them to push a round against the bench thry respond, "I'll be damned, I am getting setback". You say you just noticed it. Could it have been happening all along and you just never noticed? Try to isolate which brass it is happening with and report back.

I had the same problems. 

Dillon sent me a knew die but I believe it was not much better. I too switched to Lee sizing die. 

I really like Dillon. They're CS is great! The Lee die is just a better die.  The decaping pin is better. The lock ring is better. The die sizes better. 

Edited by B_RAD

Could be the carbide sizing ring is cracked.

The Dillon 9mm sizer gave me set back issues with (very) thin walled brass and I (also) prefer the Lee (U) die and also the Mighty Armory sizer as of late.

Chrs,

RGA

22 hours ago, Sarge said:

I ditched my Dillon die after 6 months because of setback issues. It's worse with certain brass such as FC. I switched to LEE/EGW Udie and no problems at all in nearly 10 years. Just make sure the shell plate is tight and not wobbly when you push on it, then adjust sizer down until it just kisses the plate. That's about all you can do. If that doesn't work just stop using it. I have had quite a few loaders tell me they never had setback with a Dillon but when I tell them to push a round against the bench thry respond, "I'll be damned, I am getting setback". You say you just noticed it. Could it have been happening all along and you just never noticed? Try to isolate which brass it is happening with and report back.

Sarge, 

Thanks for the reply!

I have always set my dies in the way you describe, and every time I reload, I have always used the edge of my bench to check for any setback!

I don't reload as much as I did when I was shooting several matches a year, But the problem has just shown up in the past few months.

I have noticed that speer brass seems to give more of a problem with setback than other brass!

So for the past 2 months I have been culling those out in a separate bucket. Now that I know the problem is the Dillon die, I will use my lee, and use the speer !

Sarge, One question, I'm  using my older Lee sizing die ,But it is not long enough to get it locking collar on it to lock it down securely . Does the Lee U die have a longer body than the regular Lee sizing die?

Thanks

Jeff

Edited by ghost21

59 minutes ago, ghost21 said:

Sarge, 

Thanks for the reply!

I have always set my dies in the way you describe, and every time I reload, I have always used the edge of my bench to check for any setback!

I don't reload as much as I did when I was shooting several matches a year, But the problem has just shown up in the past few months.

I have noticed that speer brass seems to give more of a problem with setback than other brass!

So for the past 2 months I have been culling those out in a separate bucket. Now that I know the problem is the Dillon die, I will use my lee, and use the speer !

Sarge, One question, I'm  using my older Lee sizing die ,But it is not long enough to get it locking collar on it to lock it down securely . Does the Lee U die have a longer body than the regular Lee sizing die?

Thanks

Jeff

You need to use a Dillon nut underneath the tool head.

This is more than likely the Carbide ring broke on the sizing die.  I had this happen about 2 years ago.  I could not even see the crack with my eyes, but it would expand and shrink as the die worked the brass.  Replaced with another Dillon and is running fine.  

The new gen FL sizing die has the spring loaded de-capper.  Once in a blue moon the E-Clip will break.  It comes with a spare.   I recommend you keep a few around.  Its a standard E-Clip and 1/4" size.

For me, its Dillon or Redding for dies.   For both 9mm and 40 I have never had an issue with brass not sizing right with Dillon dies.  I see no need for a modified or lee die.  But, the Lee / EGW seems to be very popular.    I am in the neighborhood of 10-20K rounds a year on reloading depending on shooting demand.  Some years less some more.

• 2 years later...
On 5/21/2019 at 5:39 PM, Sarge said:

You need to use a Dillon nut underneath the tool head.

First Sergeant,,,thank you for this idea, good NCO coaching and teaching...was getting frustrated not being able to use my Lee Universal Depriming die to process my 223 brass