Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slow Slide Speed

Nic_USPSA_C

New to open shooting.  I acquired a used open gun and took it to the range today for the second time.  When I first received the gun it was dirty, when I would rack the slide it felt sticky.  However, the gun shot nice and flat.  I took the gun home and cleaned and lubed it.  When I racked the slide it felt nice and smooth.  After shooting 20 rounds through the gun the slide felt sticky as I rack it.  Is this normal?  What should I look For?

What was used for lubrication ? Due to tight fitting I usually use oil on rails and barrell and small amount of light grease on lugs and slide stop.  When it is warm thicker oil is used (to stay on slide and barrell longer) when it is cold light oil. Check if gun is assembled properly and if nothing rubs "more than it should". As slides starts to feels sticky does the gun still works as it should (fully cycles, ejects brass properly, etc) ?

IDK if this is the same feeling or not, but I bought a used open gun and after it heated up after say 25 rounds it felt weird when I racked the gun. Long story short the slide was cracked.  Only noticed it on a long stage when it got warm, it would warp or something.

Thanks - I will get some lube and lube it up.  Didn’t have any sonI bought some ummm Walmart Black Bottle Stuff.  I will order some quality lube and try again.

Even though it fells sticky, it still ran a shoots fine.