Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lowest reliable # recoil spring in a g17

obsessiveshooter

I have a project pistol that I want to do dual duty production with 130PF loads and steel challenge 100PF loads. I have a 4.5 striker spring and 13lb recoil spring now. I'd like to go as low as possible with the recoil spring. I use 10lb recoil spring with Major PF in my CZ, so 13 seems really heavy for minor & sub minor.

I just dont want to buy $7 springs that have no chance of working...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Can't go as low on recoil spring on Glock compared to hammer fired guns since the striker spring fights against the recoil spring. With a 4.5 lb striker spring, 11 lb is typically the lowest recoil spring you can use. Ultra reliable with the 11 lb spring from what I've used on a g34.

14 hours ago, Polymer said:

Can't go as low on recoil spring on Glock compared to hammer fired guns since the striker spring fights against the recoil spring.

Also, on a hammer-fired gun, the hammer spring is a huge factor in how the slide cycles. You have to cock the hammer through the force of a 10-16 pound spring... which acts as something like a dragracing car’s parachute... But you don’t have to deal with that extra spring mass dipping the muzzle as it hammers the slide back into battery. 

These guns effectively have a heavier spring coming back than they do going forward. This is part of why CZs and Tanfos shoot flatter - in addition to the obvious factor, which is weighing as much as a G34 and G19 taped together. 😂

It’s not uncommon to run a 6 pound recoil spring in a Tanfo, I ran 8 or 9 personally.

Edited by MemphisMechanic