Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dryfire Dojo - Attaching Cardboard Target Arrays

MiWiAu

Hey all,

My new dryfire dojo went into service last night. It’s a pretty basic set-up in my unfinished basement, and the space is currently about 12’x28’. Concrete floor and cinder block walls.

Does anyone have any tips for temporarily attaching targets to cinder block walls that facilitates easy array changes? To maximize floor space, I’m trying to avoid traditional target stands.

I’m currently using some paper IPSC targets Gorilla taped to the wall (cardboard targets are on order), but this method will destroy targets after being repositioned only a few times.

Curious if anyone out there has a creative or innovative suggestion that is economical and not completely permanent. Maybe I need a giant Velcro wall. default_smile.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After some additional digging, it looks like one can buy the “loop” side of velcro material in bulk (60” widths).

I’m thinking if I do a 2’ section the whole width of my space, I can put some “hook” strips on the back side of targets and move them around to change things up. My initial thought is using spray adhesive to mount the loop material to some 1/4” plywood, then use some small anchors to mount it to the wall.

Thoughts?

fa02cec33a6466a08383580178b83629.jpg

I just use rolled up tape stuck to the back of the target. I’m attaching to painted drywall, so I typically go for masking tape or blue tape to avoid damaging the paint. 

Edited by DKorn
Typo

1 hour ago, DKorn said:

I just use rolled up tape stuck to the back of the target. I’m attaching to painted drywall, so I typically go for masking tape or blue tape to avoid damaging the paint. 

Same.  I would also consider using scaled targets--you only have 28'

I would (and personally do) just use scaled cardboard targets attached with blue painters tape. Ben Stoeger Pro Shop has an abundance of options for dryfire targets. 

There's this gum/putty stuff you can use to put up posters. I stick that to the back of my BSPS dry-fire targets and move them around at will.

Though I don't have a concrete block wall. I'm sure it won't stick as well to that as it does my painted walls.

I had most of the material laying around to try a “Velcro” setup, so decided to give it a whirl. All I had to purchase was some felt and the “hook only” adhesive backed Velcro (ordered off Fleabay) to put on the back side of the cardboard targets.

For anyone who cares, I’ll update on how it works once my targets and Velcro arrives!

Side note: Eventually, I plan to scrape off all that old liquid nails and paint the walls, so it looks a little more presentable, but this should work in the meantime. :P

189d8e4b01715a56dc1c244e72004415.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2019 at 10:11 AM, DKorn said:

+1 - I've got concrete walls and it works pretty well. Keep it simple.