Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

V12-what is this?

Dan4147

See the "chatter" on top of the cone?  Is this normal?  This is at less than 200 rounds.  Evidently the slide (which does have a sharp edge inside) is dinging the comp as it comes forward while the barrel is unlocked and moving around.  The chatter is not deep and I can barely feel it with my fingernail, but what about 10k rounds.

v12s.jpg

I've never seen that before, but it looks like the geometry of the cone is off.  Take the barrel/comp out of the gun and place it upside down on a flat surface, the top edge of the comp and the top ends of the cone should be parallel and straight, if you see a hump on the cone where those scratches are, I'd say that's the culprit.

If it's a 9mm it should have come with a spare barrel, I suggest you paint the effected area with dykem or magic marker and see if it hits in the same place.  If it did I would look closer at the slide.

Thanks kneelingatlas. I hoped you would see this and reply. Sound suggestions. I have not shot the 2nd barrel yet so I will try that this week. I’ll post my results. 

Is this comp aluminum?  The end of the slide inside edge top is sharp. 

18 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

Yes, the comp is aluminum and the slide is steel.  My slides all have a sharp edge so I don't think that's your issue.

Ugh.  1 magazine through the minor barrel and obviously it is going to be the same.  Comp taper is straight, no hump.  There is more free play than I'm used to (1911) in the barrel while it is unlocked.  If I move the slide forward slowly the barrels/comp are very free and will contact the slide (obviously) pretty easily.  Almost like there is too much tolerance in the lug/peanut.

I put the slide lock into the peanut.  In battery position there is very little tolerance.  As it transitions to out of battery there is considerable free play.  Is that normal?  I really don't want to send this back to EAA.  Too much time invested in polishing and re-springing.

minorbarrel2.jpg

For only a couple hundred rounds, i wouldn't think that is normal. i would email and ask, might need a replacement from the manufacturer. if it was like 10k rounds i might say to myself, not too bad, but just a couple hundred and on both, i wouldn't want to keep shooting it myself.

Have you narrowed down what it is rubbing on?

3 hours ago, wally0206 said:

For only a couple hundred rounds, i wouldn't think that is normal. i would email and ask, might need a replacement from the manufacturer. if it was like 10k rounds i might say to myself, not too bad, but just a couple hundred and on both, i wouldn't want to keep shooting it myself.

Have you narrowed down what it is rubbing on?

Gosh I fear old Murphy if I have to send it back for replacement.  These were out of stock for almost 2 years. 

Yes. The top of the comp is bouncing off the top of the slide front edge.  I sent them and email with description.

Edited by Dan4147

My wife's GT seems to have a sharp edge on the inside of the slide that marks up the cone similar to what you are seeing, I talked to JJ Racaza about the GT right after he moved to Limcat at a class and he mentioned the comps getting beat up by the slide so I don't think its a new thing. 

If yours is like my wifes it probably looks like they cut the slide back (from "limited" length) with a hack saw and did zero clean up on the edges. If it were mine I would break that edge with a round file and stone it smooth (well I would dremmel it but that's me) then see how it wears going forward. 

To me the concept of having a Aluminum cone on a comp like that is a bad idea, that's why when I made a comp for the wife's gun I made a steel cone and comp.

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

My wife's GT seems to have a sharp edge on the inside of the slide that marks up the cone similar to what you are seeing, I talked to JJ Racaza about the GT right after he moved to Limcat at a class and he mentioned the comps getting beat up by the slide so I don't think its a new thing. 

If yours is like my wifes it probably looks like they cut the slide back (from "limited" length) with a hack saw and did zero clean up on the edges. If it were mine I would break that edge with a round file and stone it smooth (well I would dremmel it but that's me) then see how it wears going forward. 

To me the concept of having a Aluminum cone on a comp like that is a bad idea, that's why when I made a comp for the wife's gun I made a steel cone and comp.

Mike.  Thank you for reading this, and your thoughts. Although it’s not a good testament to Tanfo tolerances, it helps my thought process that someone else has seen it.  You are right on the comp.   Aluminum has no business on a cone that WILL be struck by the slide. I have 2 other older nice open guns with good comps, 1 with 10s of thousands rounds and it just shows wear. No chatter marks.  Ihad thought of easing the slide edge ever so lighty, and since Eaa hasn’t answered my messages, why not....this gun won’t see a lot of rounds. 

2 hours ago, darthdively said:

mine did this and also removed mater from bottom of comp.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thank you Darth. I don’t see any wear on the bottom of mine. 

Update. EAA did reply to my message by email. They suggested returning it to the service dept for inspection. I’ve made my mind up to keep it and massage it. Worse case down the road I could put a hard comp on the 2nd barrel. 

Update.  I lightly eased the edge of the slide.  Polished out the top of the comp.  Ran about 50 rounds and there seems to be no contact that I can FEEL, but of course it is still hitting as I can see it in the lube.  Although there seems to be a little too much movement of the barrel unlocked, hopefully it will last a long time.  This gun sits in my grip best of any ever.