Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First match

BamaShooter88

I just had my first USPSA match. It’s the first time I’ve ever done any competition shooting. My goal was to go slow and not get any penalties, Mike’s or dq. I accomplished my goal and actually did better than I expected. I struggled with stage planning and reload planning. So what are the best ways to train for stage planning and reload points? I would have a plan and then miss a steel and throw my reload plans out the window. Any advice? Thanks! 

5 hours ago, BamaShooter88 said:

How to train for stage planning and reload points? I would have a plan and then miss a steel and throw my reload plans out the window.  

Plan to fire all your rounds except 3-4, and then plan on reloading right there, or earlier.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem in Limited - one reload and you're done..

Imagine shooting Production (10 round mags) ???

OP, I'll give you the same advice I gave you in the other thread you got going with the same question:

1. You can't train to overcome match stress without going to a match.  Period.  Even if you try to run practice stages on the clock, it's not the same.  Anyway, very few people have the resources to set up practice stages big enough to be a memory challenge.
  2. Switch to Production.  When to reload becomes simple: shoot four targets, reload.
  3. If your plan falls off the rails, do the best you can to get back on schedule.  Again, this isn't something I know how to train for outside of matches. 

You just have to put in the miles.

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

I think he was referring to the previous post, not selling.     

And he’s been here since 2016 and has 9 posts. I don’t think he’s post bumping. LOL