Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to stop a transition?

bimmer1980

Hi Guys!

I often ask myself how the top guys do transitions that fast. I think i could get the movement faster, but how do i stop excactly on the target?

I know about the "snap your eyes" and "the gun follows" stuff, but when i push a transition hard, i almost always dont´t stop right in the A-Zone.

Some seems like they transition like a robot, and they stop like a Robot, shooting A´s. How is that possible?

Hi Guys!

I often ask myself how the top guys do transitions that fast. I think i could get the movement faster, but how do i stop excactly on the target?
I know about the "snap your eyes" and "the gun follows" stuff, but when i push a transition hard, i almost always dont´t stop right in the A-Zone.

Some seems like they transition like a robot, and they stop like a Robot, shooting A´s. How is that possible?
The transition comes from your hips NOT your upper body. If you're using your upper body that's called tank turreting. Lead with the eyes, drive those hips, keep your shoulders square. That will keep you from over transitioning the gun

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

use your legs to point your whole upper body towards the target. and of course, practice more. transitioning between targets in dryfire is what teaches your body to aim the gun where your eyes are pointed, but it doesn't happen overnight.

Thank you! I know (in theory) how to to do that, but it´s kind of hard for me to stop accurately when using my hips and legs. Btw: do i have to snap my eyes to the next target or my whole head?

Is there any trick i can to, to stop the motion of my body fast AND smooth?

Thank you! I know (in theory) how to to do that, but it´s kind of hard for me to stop accurately when using my hips and legs. Btw: do i have to snap my eyes to the next target or my whole head?
Eyes race to the next target after last shot fired, shoulders stay square and hips DRIVE the body with gun to next target. Should be right smack in the A zone if you're eyes are getting there first

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bimmer1980 said:

Snap your eyes to the next target. If you have to move your head to see the next one then move your head too. Try to relax your shoulders and neck muscles. Having tension where it doesn’t need to be will contribute to over swinging the target.

Funnily enough, when I took a Stoeger class last year, he told me to stop using my legs so much to transition the gun on mid-distance transitions.  His new book emphasizes driving the eyes (as others have pointed out) and then letting the gun come along without a lot of effort or tension.  

You may need to try both approaches and see which one produces results you like better.

2 hours ago, ATLDave said:

Funnily enough, when I took a Stoeger class last year, he told me to stop using my legs so much to transition the gun on mid-distance transitions.  His new book emphasizes driving the eyes (as others have pointed out) and then letting the gun come along without a lot of effort or tension.  

You may need to try both approaches and see which one produces results you like better.

I’ve heard something similar on one of the many shooting podcasts- I think it was the Shoot Fast Podcast. One of the hosts took a class with Stoeger and found out that he was over-muscling his transitions, causing him to have a hard time stopping and a tendency to over swing. I think he fixed the issue by learning to use exactly the amount of muscle necessary to get to the next target quickly, but without overswinging or causing the sight picture to be excessively disrupted by stopping too abruptly. If I knew how to do it I might be able to describe it better. 

Hi Guys!

Matt Hopkins came up with a great transition drill on the corner of a wall where you engage dots in different sequences. Once you learn exactly how much it takes to get from wide dots to close dots, etc. you can really begin to work with your body to get the times down. And your mistakes will become increasingly apparent, but you will have the awareness of how to fix them (ie. flailing the gun without a specific spot to drive the sights to). Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk