Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic for Carry optics

chenault

I currently have a Romeo 1 with a lot of mileage on it; however, in looking around at other optics I was wondering.  

-Since the optic is attached to the slide, does the added weight of some dots like the DPP have a noticeable effect?  Wondering if anyone has played around with different dots and noticed a difference.  

33 minutes ago, chenault said:

I currently have a Romeo 1 with a lot of mileage on it; however, in looking around at other optics I was wondering.  

-Since the optic is attached to the slide, does the added weight of some dots like the DPP have a noticeable effect?  Wondering if anyone has played around with different dots and noticed a difference. 

The added weight *can* make a difference, but it's completely dependent on the unique combination of the frame, slide, optic, ammo, spring, and any other factors influencing the issue.  Most of the time, guns are sprung to work within a wide enough range to account for most commercial ammo, so small variations in slide weight don't affect reliability, but once in a while, you can have an issue. Usually a FTE.  These are still typically remedied with a different recoil spring.

24 minutes ago, ClangClang said:

The added weight *can* make a difference, but it's completely dependent on the unique combination of the frame, slide, optic, ammo, spring, and any other factors influencing the issue.  Most of the time, guns are sprung to work within a wide enough range to account for most commercial ammo, so small variations in slide weight don't affect reliability, but once in a while, you can have an issue. Usually a FTE.  These are still typically remedied with a different recoil spring.

That makes sense. I just remember how much a difference slide cuts made on my open gun.  We spend so so much effort on lightening the slides that I'm always conscious of weight. Part of that is from necessity because I'm moving to a Shadow for my next carry optics build.  

So, theoretically, could a lightened slide with a lighter optic sprung right have an advantage over a heavier one?  Seems like the rise and dip would be less since there is less reciprocating mass.  

I would think that the other factors involved in choosing an optic would be far more important than the weight difference, unless the weight makes the difference between qualifying for the division and being bumped to Open. 

That said, I’ve never played around with multiple optics on the same gun enough to see if it affects reliability or dot movement. 

I've shoot my RX with both a Romeo 1 6moa and a DPP ( I opened the slide cut up to fit the DPP) and I split them the same on the timer.

Not a mesureable difference but I just put a Romeo 1 6moa back on the RX

FWIW.

Honestly just like the look and ease of the controls of the R1

1 hour ago, jcc7x7 said:

I've shoot my RX with both a Romeo 1 6moa and a DPP ( I opened the slide cut up to fit the DPP) and I split them the same on the timer.

Not a mesureable difference but I just put a Romeo 1 6moa back on the RX

FWIW.

Honestly just like the look and ease of the controls of the R1

Does the window height difference bother you?

6 hours ago, chenault said:

Does the window height difference bother you?

No both stay in the window just fine, the dot that is.

Index is fine with both and under recoil it doesn't seem as though the dot moves that much on either.

For me if it does, it's a cue to grip the gun better.