Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compensator set-up for CO to Open?

Religious Shooter

I have a Carry Optic top end using a Brownells slide and RMR.   G17 Gen 3.

On occasion I want to shoot minor Open with the Glock. 

I want to use my Production/CO load (147 w/Titegroup) with this Open set up.

I want to be able to fairly quickly convert the top end from CO to Open and vice-versa.

What kind of barrel and compensator set-up would you guys recommend?  Have you used it?  Does it work with a typical minor 9MM load @ 130 PF?  Does it make a marked difference?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

The ALG is probably twice the cost of the Carver Competition mount and hard to come by since they were a limited production run. 

Both the ALG and the Carver will put the red dot considerably higher than the slide mounted one, requiring a change in ergonomics each time you change from CO to open. 

I agree it doesn’t make much sense to put a compensator on a 9 mm to shoot minor Open. The point of going to open and using a compensator is to get major power factor, so your Charlie’s are four points instead of three and Deltas two instead of one. And you get a magwell. Do you need a magwell? How much will it improve your performance over CO? You are probably handling your reloads well already. Stay with CO. Not sure that this scenario for Open is worth the expense and hassle. If you really want to shoot Open, get a real Open gun and shoot major power factor.

My two cents. Rambling some, too, sorry.

On 3/17/2019 at 8:19 AM, Religious Shooter said:

I have a Carry Optic top end using a Brownells slide and RMR.   G17 Gen 3.

On occasion I want to shoot minor Open with the Glock. 

I want to use my Production/CO load (147 w/Titegroup) with this Open set up.

I want to be able to fairly quickly convert the top end from CO to Open and vice-versa.

What kind of barrel and compensator set-up would you guys recommend?  Have you used it?  Does it work with a typical minor 9MM load @ 130 PF?  Does it make a marked difference?

Thanks.

If on occasion you want to shoot Minor Open with the Glock, all you would need is a 170 mag, then sign in as Open Minor. Using your current CO setup and not worry about a comp. Which would do very little with Prod/CO 147 minor loads. 

If you have the $$$ then get a complete built G17 for Open Major 9mm. KKM drop in Barrel (which are very accurate), Carver double sided mount and Carver comp, DeltaPointPro, Magwell, 170 mag(s), thumb rest. Hopefully your current holster will fit both. Keep both setups. 

8 hours ago, Lastcat said:

If on occasion you want to shoot Minor Open with the Glock, all you would need is a 170 mag, then sign in as Open Minor. Using your current CO setup and not worry about a comp. Which would do very little with Prod/CO 147 minor loads. 

If you have the $$$ then get a complete built G17 for Open Major 9mm. KKM drop in Barrel (which are very accurate), Carver double sided mount and Carver comp, DeltaPointPro, Magwell, 170 mag(s), thumb rest. Hopefully your current holster will fit both. Keep both setups. 

^^^^. What I was trying to say, but said much more clearly.

10 hours ago, Lastcat said:

This. 

Although i wouldn’t recommend buying an Open Glock. Ever. 

26 minutes ago, HCH said:

This. 

Although i wouldn’t recommend buying an Open Glock. Ever. 

You are right too, if you had the $$$ then get a better gun. If you don't have the $$$, a Glock Open gun, which many have done, including myself, doesn't take a whole lot of cash to get started in the Sport. Parts are cheaper and easier to find. I wish I had a Chaos, but don't have the dollars. I already had the G17. Bought the mounts, barrel and Pmags, etc.... and off I went. So for under $1,000 or so, one can get started into Open Div and maybe save for the big buck guns. Like I choose to do, someday 🙄.

13 minutes ago, Lastcat said:

You are right too, if you had the $$$ then get a better gun. If you don't have the $$$, a Glock Open gun, which many have done, including myself, doesn't take a whole lot of cash to get started in the Sport. Parts are cheaper and easier to find. I wish I had a Chaos, but don't have the dollars. I already had the G17. Bought the mounts, barrel and Pmags, etc.... and off I went. So for under $1,000 or so, one can get started into Open Div and maybe save for the big buck guns. Like I choose to do, someday 🙄.

I’ve done the Open Glock thing too. CO really did away with any “good” reason to shoot a plastic gun in Open, IMO. 

11 minutes ago, HCH said:

I’ve done the Open Glock thing too. CO really did away with any “good” reason to shoot a plastic gun in Open, IMO. 

That's good. Could you afford a better gun? 

10 minutes ago, Lastcat said:

That's good. Could you afford a better gun? 

I would have been better off to keep shooting Limited with the 35 I used, and apply that $$ to a savings account, if that’s what you mean. 

2 minutes ago, HCH said:

I would have been better off to keep shooting Limited with the 35 I used, and apply that $$ to a savings account, if that’s what you mean. 

Actually no. It was Open Gun related.

Religious Shooter, this was me back in 2016. Its a G22 slide and G17 lower. I added a KKM conversion barrel to 357 sig. ( because I had all the brass, bullets, dies, powder, etc....) Carver mount, Ice magwell and Fast Fire 3. Worked good, it was my first open gun and didn't take much to get involved in the sport. Involved, that's the key word, really glad I started in USPSA, wish I did this 25 years ago. Couldn't afford even a 2011 at the time, no $$$. Broke ass as possible, but I got it to run and really had a blast in the Sport and shooting this G31 Open Gun. 

This video shows a REF, luckily it didn't impede my COF. 

Thanks for the info.

I actually have a full Open gun.  A 2011 that I rarely use.

If I shoot matches, it is usually 3 Gun in TO/Tactical where I use a G34.  Glocks are just easier for me to use in 3 Gun --- there's no manual safety to worry about when dumping the pistol into a dump box. And usually Major is not rewarded in 3 Gun.

Anyways I'm getting older and thinking of transitioning into Open and doing CO when I enter pistol only matches.  This stop gap of using my CO gun for 3G Open is just to dabble to make sure I want to move to Open. 

Anyways I think I'll just get a ported barrel when they are on clearance/sale at Midway.