Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anti Looting Team

Merlin Orr

You don't need to stop anything, you just need to do it wholesale and for the right reasons ;-)

If there were a major disaster in my area (earthquake country), the first thing I would want to get done would be to get together with my neighbors to secure the local food stores and gas stations with citizen guards. This would enable the 24/7 fueling of generators to keep the reefer's going in the commandeered grocery stores after the power's gone.

You owe it to your neighbors and loved ones to secure the food supplies in your area from random looting and then hand them out for free to the needy as needed. The only folks who might consider this looting would be the grocery store owners if they didn't think feeding the hungry was the right thing to do. I definitely advocate organized looting of survival goods before the random looters can deplete the stockpiles the citizens will need to survive.

--

Regards

You know, if you don't have the cash in your wallet and the bank's under water, and there aren't any functioning ATM machines, you always have the option to leave a check or an IOU. Nobody is going to convince me that in under a week, all residents of Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana are suddenly so poor that they have to steal to survive. If you're too worthless to maintain a savings account so that you have some cash to carry you through the bad times, that's your goddamned problem, not the guy who owns 7-11.

Americans carried themselves with 1000X more dignity and honor during the Bataan Death March and that was a hell of a lot more desperate situation than this.

I call bullshit on this whole deal.

I know I will get flamed for this, but this thread needs to be closed...I think we all can appreciate the ardor Eric has when he discussed this topic, but until he is put in circumstances similar to those in the three states in question, comments about having a savings account, money in your pocket, and it not being the problem of the 7/11 owner are WAY too argumentative to allow open forum comments to start flying...

IMHO, he might let the government do what they can before he starts chastising the people caught on TV ....I don't advocate looting, but comments like that are just as objectionable as the looting is when the author of those comments has no perspective other than just seeing it on TV...

Walk a mile in their shoes before you start laying down the dictums from your throne...

My .02 worth...

:angry:

Eric,

What exactly do you recommend they do?

Chances are the stores are going to be unattended or in dire straits themselves. No store owner in his right mind would be at the store instead of protecting his family. Do you leave money so it can be taken by the scumbags that are looting for profit?

Everything can be taken care of after the crisis is over. During the crisis, I am not going to worry about having enough money on me...I am going to be protecting my family by any means necessary.

For your information, I've done my share of sandbagging, firefighting, and ice storm mitigation. I just never realized it was a license to go rip off people, shoot at emergency services personnel, and abandon all laws of God and man.

Now that I know, I'm sure I'll do better next time.

And furthermore...while someone is stealing beer and Doritos, why not steal a bic pen and a piece of paper and leave a note saying "dear storeowner, I took two six packs and a bag of chips, if you will send me a bill at XXXX, XXXX,XXXX, I will be happy to compensate you." Then you pin that note right onto the bulletin board and will have at least made the effort.

That's the way things work in civilized society. That's how we're supposed to treat one another. Looting, murder, and mayhem just don't cut it for me.

I'd say I'm pretty well done for the day. Catch y'all later, because the more I think about this, the more po'd I get.

+1 Jake. Whatever it takes right now. Fix the issues with honor later when the survivin' is done.

Being there "Fustest, with the Mostest" is the best way to head off looting as I mentioned earlier. In a pinch, the citizens are their own emergency services system and if you and your neighbors have a plan, or have at least discussed the realities of what might need to be done in advance, you are a long way along the path to surviving and helping others do the same.

--

Regards,

EricW, I couldn't agree with you more. Most of the people I see on the news are stealing. Taking objects that do not belong to them.

I am not talking about life or death that you need to take bread, lunch meat, produce, water . Substinance things necessary for living. These people are stealing: TV's, dvd players, liquor, drugs from pharmacies, hospital supplies that critical injured patients need, appliances. I don't care what the rest of the world calls it. It is not foraging. It is STEALING!!!!!!!!!

And while they are doing this, they are shooting at rescue workers, military choppers, police. That's not foraging for survival. That's anarchy. Taking advantage of a really bad situation.