Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home Surveillance Systems

My wife wants to put cameras around the house, which I'm also into.  I have an assortment of research questions and some reading to do, and I'm wondering if the security-minded gun owning type folks could recommend a good forum or other resources for such a topic.

I'm also interested  -  let's see if we get any good info here.

It will depend on your objectives - some will want an alarm to sound

at police HQ if someone breaks in - others (LIke ME) don't care if

someone breaks in, as long as I'm notified quickly that someone did

break in (I can take care of a break in faster than the police).

You might talk to your local police - they should have all sorts of

experience with security systems.     :) 

I have also been looking at something like this.  I found some good info, I guess at the security camera warehouse website.  They help give you an idea of what you may want etc.  BTW, I have no affiliation. 

I was just researching the same thing. I'm no expert, and I'm on a budget and plan on moving, so I don't want to hard-wire anything:

- For a 'security system' it's hard to go wrong with 'Ring' expensive hardware, but cheap monitoring/cloud hosting. You can arm/disarm with a smart speaker.

- For cameras, the Blink series (currently on sale) supposed to work fairly well. The biggest downsides are no monitoring and it doesn't alert you until AFTER it's done recording. 

I'm a big fan of the Nest products. I started with the doorbell, got the smoke/co2 detector, ended up getting the thermostat then I did a couple outdoor cameras. The quality is exceptional and the nice part is I plan on moving as well. They just plug into outlets so when I'm ready to move, I can just unplug them and take it with. I ran outlets though to where I wanted the cameras to be.

This is a summary of where my mind is, as far as what my requirements are.

• I refuse to pay anyone monthly.  I'd sooner spend $98,000 once, than $2/month, no matter how illogical that is on paper.
  • I want to be able to have 8 channels of video
  • I want a system that supports a mix of wired and wireless cameras
  • I preferably want an NVR system, I think...  My whole house is wired with Cat5e, so I'm looking primarily at PoE cameras
  • I prefer buying an NVR and then selecting cameras one-by-one based on the wired/wireless need, the targeted location, as far as indoor/outdoor, and wife's aesthetic requirements.  I don't want (necessarily) buy a kit.
  • If I can monitor things remotely over the Internet, that's cool, but I don't care too much about that

So far, I think this is what I'm after.  I'm just trying to find out concrete information on if/how to use wireless cameras with this.  https://www.lorextechnology.com/nvr-network-video-recorder/4k-nvr-with-8-channels-and-2-terabyte-hard-drive/NR9082-1-p

Edited by Overscore

21 hours ago, Overscore said:

This is a summary of where my mind is, as far as what my requirements are.

• I refuse to pay anyone monthly.  I'd sooner spend $98,000 once, than $2/month, no matter how illogical that is on paper.
  • I want to be able to have 8 channels of video
  • I want a system that supports a mix of wired and wireless cameras
  • I preferably want an NVR system, I think...  My whole house is wired with Cat5e, so I'm looking primarily at PoE cameras
  • I prefer buying an NVR and then selecting cameras one-by-one based on the wired/wireless need, the targeted location, as far as indoor/outdoor, and wife's aesthetic requirements.  I don't want (necessarily) buy a kit.
  • If I can monitor things remotely over the Internet, that's cool, but I don't care too much about that

So far, I think this is what I'm after.  I'm just trying to find out concrete information on if/how to use wireless cameras with this.  https://www.lorextechnology.com/nvr-network-video-recorder/4k-nvr-with-8-channels-and-2-terabyte-hard-drive/NR9082-1-p

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have some of the same ideas.  I live in an area with a bunch of neighbors and have had issues with people trying the security of our wireless network, so I think wired would be the way to go for me. 

Just curious, if you aren't using a service like Ring or such,how are you able to monitor things via the internet?

I've had several video surveillance systems ranging from 16 camera systems in retail stores I've owned to the current 8 camera system I have at home.  None of the consumer grade system are perfect.  Lorex runs about a 50% one star rating on most of the reviews on Amazon, Costco, etc... Swann is slightly better, Q-see about the same.   Some of it is from misleading advertising like 4K means 4 cameras at 1080p resolution, although most of that is on the seller not the manufacturer.  Most of the 4K systems record at 15fps instead of 29 or 30fps.  Wireless cameras are susceptible to interference, both intentional and accidental.  POE (power over ethernet) cameras are much better now and easier to wire than the BNC cameras of yesteryear that required a separate power cable.  Get a big NVR (Network Video Recorder -POE) and record continuously with motion alerts rather than just record on motion.  By the time the system decides to record, the action may be over.  

For now stick with 1080 cameras vs the 4k cameras.  As far a which brand, it's a toss up on consumer grade, I've had the best luck with Q-See in DVR (BNC cameras), and so-so with Swann in NVR. I have not used anything from Lorex.  Go POE with a big NVR (2tb or more) with cloud backup if you're not paranoid about being hacked, if paranoid just don't hook it up to the interwebs and back up on a hidden remote drive.   I gave up on consumer grade systems and built my own PC based system which was waaayyyy more work than I initially thought and more expensive than a consumer system.

I have the Arlo pro 2 system. I know you said you’re not a fan of wireless but this is a super easy system to install and can support multiple cameras. Night vision works well and you can sound the alarm from the app on your phone when you’re notified the instant motion is detected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/15/2019 at 10:05 AM, galt11 said:

Just curious, if you aren't using a service like Ring or such,how are you able to monitor things via the internet?

I'm not entirely sure at the moment, but I have enough of an understanding of networking to figure it out once I understand how the system works.  At least, I believe so.  Through a combination of public DNS records and port forwarding on my router, I should be able to expose whatever access I have to the system while at home to also be accessible on the Internet.  I'm kinda hoping that I won't have to do this though, but we'll see.

I've been running the Arlo camera system for a few years now, with zero problems.

Cameras run off batteries and are wireless, which means they can go anywhere inside/outside. Motion triggered, records for 30" and uploads the clip to the cloud automatically. Downside is if there's a power cut, no recording. Can live view the cameras at any time via desktop or app.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/

Camera placement is critical though, no point having it high up on the corner of the house as scum generally wear hoodies/hats and keep their heads down. Think outside the square for camera placement....

Edited by Kiwishoot