Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Distance For Grouping Accuracy

BiteTheBullet

What distance would you shoot at to check grouping accuracy of different diameter bullets?

I tried 3 different diameters same bullet weight powder charge and manufacturer and shot them at a distance of 50 feet.

It looked like I was getting the best group with 1 of them but slightly better.

I wonder if that is too far that human error is a factor because I was using sand bags and not a fixed rest.

I zero my handguns at 25 yards and test for accuracy at 50 or 100 yards depending on the use.  Some bullets/loads will shoot well at close range but not farther out.  Just use whatever your maximum expected distance is when you compare between them.

What bullets are you using? I have never been able to get decent groups out of copper plated bullets in guns that will shoot tight groups with jacketed, polymer coated, and quality cast bullets.

Nothing wrong with using sand bags   :)

I'd test accuracy at the farthest distance you plan on shooting ...

If you will shoot to 50 feet, I'd use 50 feet.

If you will shoot 45 yards, I'd use 45 yards.

Some bullets are accurate at 50 feet, but Not Accurate at 40 yards.

For accuracy use a bench, bags or rest are good, or a good solid prone position at 25 yds.  If you have access to a Ransom Rest, some gun clubs have them for use, try that also.

But to really check the differences you need to go to 50 yards.

At 25 you may see a 1/2 inch difference but then at 50 any variances will stack up and the groups will usually show a lot more dispersion. 

Either way get the gun on a steady, solid support to eliminate as much of you as possible from the equation.

10 minutes ago, 9146gt said:

Ransom rest 😀

Tom

A local gun club I was part of had a cement base for one.  Used it to test my .38 Super Open Gun, before there was an Open Division,  quite illuminating.  They re-modeled and covered over the pillar so now they can't use it.  They may not even know what, or where, it is anymore.

And 50 yards will really show what your gun and load are capable of, or drive you to fits.

But I just gotta' know!  It can be humbling though.

Edited by pskys2