Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal American Eagle Syntec 9mm Ammo

45 Raven

This isn't a reloading question, per se, but I couldn't find an "Ammo" topic, so I will put this here.

Does anyone have any experience with Federal American Eagle Syntec 9mm ammo?  I'm interested most specifically in their 150 gr. bullet in this cartridge.

I was given an opportunity to try out a handful of this ammo at a recent match and with a very limited sample size, I was impressed.  Has anyone used it in matches?  If so, have you checked MV over a chronograph in your pistol?  Any good (or negative) feedback regarding recoil, functionality, accuracy, etc?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts/experience.

34 minutes ago, emjei said:

... Besides price they are perfect

Agreed.  I bought 500 last fall before our section match.  Ran great.  If they were closer in price to my reloads, they would be my go to.  As such, I will probably still run them in majors just to be safe.

I ran a group of 10 over my chrono.  Average PF was 138 out of my X5.

My first experience with Syntech was with the 45AUTO 230gr.  I was shooting a GSSF and didn't have enough of my own stuff to make it through 2 divisions (heavy metal with Gen4-21 and Major Sub with 30S). So, i used the Syntech in the 21 and ran my stuff in the 30S.  That's exactly the thing you want to do right?   Use a scored match to shoot unknown ammo?  It's 'just' GSSF and it worked out fine. POA/POI shift wasn't enough to matter and it cycled the gun with a very comfortable recoil pulse. 

Fast forward a couple of years and I have a few boxes of the 150 grain 9mm Syntech on the shelf to try out.  I'm also interested in getting my hands on some Sytntech PCC to run in my MBX rifle.  I'm currently in the middle of load development and would to compare to other 'specialized' ammunition. 

Is there some sort of connection between "official USPSA endorsed ammo" and the chrono checks at majors?

14 hours ago, Khaot1c said:

Is there some sort of connection between "official USPSA endorsed ammo" and the chrono checks at majors?

Being endorsed means nothing at . chrono

only “official match ammo” means something at chrono .

I just picked up a case of the 9mm 150s. The federal rebate isn’t bad, between that and a 10% and free shipping code, made it cheaper than the 147 match load I’ve been running from a local outfit. Tried it today in my CZ and para, slightly different recoil characteristics from what I’ve been shooting. I like it. I’ll definitely pick up a few more cases before I start loading on my own. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2019 at 10:19 AM, Sarge said:

Being endorsed means nothing at . chrono

only “official match ammo” means something at chrono .

Syntech is Official Match Ammo at any match.

From USPSA: "Federal Premium recently signed on as sponsor of the USPSA, and Syntech Action Pistol is the official sponsored ammo of the organization, with their logo on the box."

3 hours ago, mreed911 said:

Syntech is Official Match Ammo at any match.

From USPSA: "Federal Premium recently signed on as sponsor of the USPSA, and Syntech Action Pistol is the official sponsored ammo of the organization, with their logo on the box."

I’m not convinced that's necessarily true. I thought official match ammo had to be declared per match by match staff.

Edited by Sarge

11 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I’m not conventional necessarily that’s true. I thought official match ammo had to be declared per match by match staff.

This was my understanding as well, that each particular match COULD designate an official match ammunition.  Reading the rules, it appears the “official match ammo” designation only prevents you from being bumped to minor scoring (if your “official match ammo” fails to meet major PF) or going subminor and shooting just for fun (should your official match ammo fail to meet minor PF).

You are still required to chrono as well.

Shot about 5 cases of SynTech 150 over the past few months, great ammo for Glocks, other modern pistols.  Won't feed in most AR9 PCCs.  Won't feed in Tavor9.  Works great in Ruger PCC, which is a bonus.  Unreliable feeding in Pointman 1911 with Dawson, Wilson Combat, WC Vickers mags.  Mostly reliable feeding in 1911 from CMC mags, but not 100%.  Lots of red lipstick marks on 1911 feedramp from the poly coating.  Gave up on trying to get it to run in the 1911, and just use in Glocks where the TC bullet is 100%.  Recently decided to compare Federal's OAL to my 147 Bayou TC reloads, and was surprised to see how short Federal is loading SynTech 150g:

image.png.87454060c51beaabbfeb3b48c42d9e0e.png

Dropping the "short round" from the above sample gives average OAL 1.117"

image.png.d6ff7062ebc993698722ad237abdf31a.png