Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb rest for XDM 5.25 9mm?

timawa

As I was browsing the internet last night for a thumb rest, I saw a topic in a forum about a protype made by Esteban Custom Machine. Looks low profile, not “too racy” looking thumb rest.

Anybody know if this is already available in the market?

The only problem I see with it is you use race/open holster.

Edited by timawa

I've been doing the T&E for it on the XDM platform in competition...I run it on my XDM 5.25 40 Limited/L10 gun. While it may not look too racy, it definitely does the job. It's well finished and well made (I've got a few thousand rounds on it and it shows absolutely no wear). If you're looking to get one, go to GoGuns and get the one for the XD Mod 2. It's not labeled as for the XDM yet, but it fit without modification (though it's a little snug). Also, when you rotate it to take down the gun, it's going to seem like you're having to over rotate it, but you aren't...that's just an illusion due to the geometry of the lever.

It does require a race holster, or one relieved where the *thumb rest [generic]* sits/travels.

I've got large hands...

I've got the large backstrap installed and my stippling guy (Valhalla Customs) melted down a spare backstrap to build up my frame before stippling (rather than sanding down the factory texture). The *thumb rest [generic]* that Esteban designed was the last piece of the puzzle I needed to keep muzzle flip to a minimum with major PF ammo (I don't want to hang a weighted flashlight of the rail). Now, I have to start trying to speed up because I get my sights settled out so fast. 

Here's what it looks like installed. Pictured is my USPSA Limited pistol and my IDPA ESP pistol. img_20190223_152723_463-jpg.639015

I’ve got a couple from GoGun USA

work very well on XDm platform. XDm 5.25” 40 and 5.25” 10mm. 

Small modification to Comp-Tac holster allows it to go in and out easy. However only legal in limited and open class for USPSA so may as well run open style holster

https://gogunusa.com/products/copy-of-gas-pedal-cg-for-sig-p320

Edited by Demp223

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/27/2019 at 6:05 PM, Demp223 said:

I’ve got a couple from GoGun USA

work very well on XDm platform. XDm 5.25” 40 and 5.25” 10mm. 

Small modification to Comp-Tac holster allows it to go in and out easy. However only legal in limited and open class for USPSA so may as well run open style holster

https://gogunusa.com/products/copy-of-gas-pedal-cg-for-sig-p320

Demp was correct at the time, since then, the part he references has been declared legal for production and carry optics. There is A big discussion in rules section on BE forum with confirmation from Troy McManus. BTW, I have a Springfield XD  Mod2 and was not expecting much but it is a real sweet shooting gun. I was very impressed and it may be the best hand gun Springfield ever put their name. Because it was so good I bought an XD Mod2 Sub Compact, and it is by far the easiest to control small 9mm I ever shot. I had no holster problems at all.

On 6/12/2019 at 4:07 PM, NoJams38 said:

Demp was correct at the time, since then, the part he references has been declared legal for production and carry optics. There is A big discussion in rules section on BE forum with confirmation from Troy McManus. BTW, I have a Springfield XD  Mod2 and was not expecting much but it is a real sweet shooting gun. I was very impressed and it may be the best hand gun Springfield ever put their name. Because it was so good I bought an XD Mod2 Sub Compact, and it is by far the easiest to control small 9mm I ever shot. I had no holster problems at all.

I see things changed in last  few

months. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/25/2019 at 9:57 AM, MikeRussell said:

I've been doing the T&E for it on the XDM platform in competition...I run it on my XDM 5.25 40 Limited/L10 gun. While it may not look too racy, it definitely does the job. It's well finished and well made (I've got a few thousand rounds on it and it shows absolutely no wear). If you're looking to get one, go to GoGuns and get the one for the XD Mod 2. It's not labeled as for the XDM yet, but it fit without modification (though it's a little snug). Also, when you rotate it to take down the gun, it's going to seem like you're having to over rotate it, but you aren't...that's just an illusion due to the geometry of the lever.

It does require a race holster, or one relieved where the *thumb rest [generic]* sits/travels.

@MikeRussell Are you still running the 5.25 XDMs?