Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tired Of Chasing Brass

arblacksmith

Is it possible to "tune" an external extractor so that the brass ejects and drops somewhat in the same general area? Currently, my ejected brass will vary from dropping at my side or soaring 20 feet away in a 180 degree arc. I am using the same powder load and bullet weight all the time.

IIRC, it used to be considered a sign of just how talented your smith was that all your ejected cases would land in a 5 gallon paint bucket, but I think most folks now discount that as being any indicator of reliability or shootability (heck, my Glocks will drop two out of three in a bucket, with the third close by, but only because I shoot minor loads with factory springs, and the cases dribble out :P ).

If they extract and eject reliably, that's what counts. But, FWIW, I have seen pretty neat near piles of cases from AFTEC tuned extractors.

Externals, I dunno.

The load plays a part as well. Last steel match I played RO for a shooter with Wolf and WW 9mm. First string, using the Wolf, the rounds went everywhere. Second string, using the WW, all five rounds hit me in the chest. If I had had a shirt pocket I could have caught them all.

Get a 625, load up a bunch of moonclips and have fun!!!!! :D

When you are done, go back and pick up the moonclips.....you will have 6 in each one....never have I had to pick up more than 7. ;)

Sure beats the Heck out of looking like a chicken scratching around. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Hopalong

Get a 625, load up a bunch of moonclips and have fun!!!!! :D

When you are done, go back and pick up the moonclips.....you will have 6 in each one....never have I had to pick up more than 7.  ;)

Sure beats the Heck out of looking like a chicken scratching around. :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

Hopalong

Chicken scratching that is funny