Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmith Ross Carter

Just wanted to post a note that Arkansas gunsmith (and veteran USPSA/IDPA shooter) Ross Carter was severely injured in an explosion and fire that leveled his house last week. His girlfriend Diane was injured as well.

Ross received 3rd-degree burns over 50% of his body; his girlfriends was slightly luckier. He's out of intensive care and back in the burn unit, but it goes without saying that this is a serious, serious injury.

He's at the St. Johns Regional Medical Facility (1235 E. Cherokee St.; Springfield, MO 65804; 417/885-2000) in the 6th Floor Burn Unit. Flowers can't be delivered to the burn unit because of risk of infection, but cards, balloons and the like are welcome.

Still no word on the cause of the explosion. Ross was working on an optical sight with a small soldering iron, which obviously touched off something.

He's a good guy and an old friend.

MB

• 3 weeks later...

j1b:

I received this e-mail from Frank Robbins today, July 10th:

Ron,

Last week, Ross underwent an 8 hour operation, that they had originally scheduled to be broken up into 4 or 5 shorter operations. As he is a tough old bird, they decided to combine them, therefore this will speed up his recovery time.

He is doing well, but still has to undergo daily very painful, 2 to 3 hour scrubbing baths and dressing changes. It looks like there is a possibility he might be able to move out of the burn unit next week, but will have to come back everyday for the long painful sessions. These will go on for quite sometime. Even when he is out of the hospital, he will have to come

back everyday for the treatments and therapy.

Diane is out of the burn unit, but is still staying in the hospital and coming in for the same treatments. Both of them will have to wear those special burn suits for 1 1/2 to 2 years after leaving the hospital. These suits help the circulation and promote healing without scars.

Both are in pretty good spirits considering. And Ross occasionally gets a little grumpy. (if you know Ross, you know this is a good sign).

There will be a Para Ordnance up for raffle (a certificate good for any Para of the winners choice was donated by Kirby Smith of Para Ordnance) for $6.00 per ticket. 100% of the money will be going to the Ross Carter and Diane Hammond Burn Fund. Look for it on the IDPA Website at http://www.idpa.com and the Wilson Combat site at http://www.wilsoncombat.com Anyone can also give me a call at Wilson Combat (800) 955-4856, ext.#107 (or push 0 and ask the operator for me). You can also call Dru at IDPA (870) 545-3886. Dru and I are also

here at home and you can call anytime (I'm a night owl) at (417) 678-5670.

Thanks allot for your concern.

• 4 weeks later...

To all concerned shooters,

I spoke with Frank Robbins from Wilson Combat today about Ross Carter's accident. Truly a bizarre tragedy.

He lost everything. Tools, guns, everything. It will be a long time before his life is anywhere near back to normal.

Frank gave me an address where people can send donations so I thought it would be a good idea to post (or re-post) it on the forum.

I'm sure any of us would appreciate the help if we were in his shoes. Even small amounts would help them.

Here it is:

Ross Carter and Diane Hammond Burn Fund

Arkansas National Bank, Attn. Jay

706 S. Walton Blvd.

Bentonville AR 72712

(Edited by AKALAKE at 5:14 pm on Aug. 12, 2002)