Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me move to AZ

I am considering employment along the border in the south western US, namely AZ, but my wife has said no up to this point.  I need some ammunition to convince her that Flagstaff (not specifically, just an example) might be a decent place to live. Anyone out there live in the area previously described? How are the elementary schools public and private? Is land and housing inexpensive, relatively speaking? If I can't convince my better half that the border would be a decent place to raise a family I will never be able to enter the shooting holy land :)   Any info is appreciated.

My Wife and I considered moving to Flagstaff.  It is beautiful up there.  Its about 7-8000 ft up in the mountains.  No humidity, only 1-3 days a year above 90 degrees.  When I was out there in August last year, it was over 100 in Pheonix, but up in Flag. it was only in the high 70's.  From Flag to Pheonix is only 2 hrs.  The drive from Flag to Pheonix when you go through Sedona is just flat amazing.  

I love it out there, and maybe in about 5 years or so, might end up there.

Well if you are going to work on the border than you are not going to places like Flagstaff.  You will be looking at places like Nogales, Naco, Bisbee, Douglas, Sierra Vista, Huachuca City, etc.  I live down here and while I like it a lot, I have seen many wives who don't like it.  I suggest you find the real places you might be moving to and then go from there. There are +'s and -'s to living down here, both for shooting and the rest of the stuff.

Neal

Sierra Vista, AZ

Of the many cool things about AZ you have to consider it's accessibility to almost every kind of environment.  Want a big city?  Go to Phoenix.  Phoenix too dull?  $65 round trip air to Vegas or L.A..  If you want the beach drive to California or hit Puerto Pinasco in Mexico.  Both are really close.

You can ski (snow or water) without leaving the state.  There is hiking, mountain biking....  Okay I am getting worn out just thinking of everything AZ has to offer.  

There's a lot of "1-horse towns" along the border amigo.

Not a hospitable environment for someone accustomed to living in the capital city FL.

If your lady is average, shopping is a must.  Not just the supermarket shopping, I’m talking Nordstroms!

There ain’t no Nordstroms in Sierra Vista (is there even a mall?)   There aren’t any trees either,…it’s brown.  Not a lady friendly environment, unless she grew up in Montana or something.

If you job needs to be close the border (S.Arizona), then Tucson or Green Valley or Marana might be good options.

Good Luck

I applied for a job in Flagstaff last year and was looking at the real estate, it was expensive.  Here in Maryland I have a 2600 sq ft two level house w/a large detached garage in a nice neighborhood, this woulda cost me well over $200k in Flagstaff, but other areas of AZ (especially those areas along the border) have inexpensive real estate.  I think Flagstaff is so expensive because of the reasons BigDave stated, it's literally the perfect climate.

Bill

Yes - Sierra Vista does have a mall.But it probably doesn't compare to the high $$ stuff in Scottsdale.

http://www.azchamber.com/

New home subdivisions are starting anywhere from low $100k to mid $250 and up in the valley.

Flagstaff is going through a growth stage like most of the metropolitan areas n Az., so housing prices will eventually come down in that area.

Areas/communities along the border are still 'sleepers' for now- they don't offer the range of employment opportunity that the cities will .

I don't know what the cost of living is in FLA but it is extremely high here in AZ. My auto insurance doubled when I moved out here 4 1/2 years ago. My auto regestration is $350 / year.

There are a lot of plus points especially for shooters. Mostly in the Phoenix area though. That's where the two big ranges are and it's a good 2 1/2-3 hours from the border.

If your really into shooting, Phoenix is the place. You will have an opportunity to shoot with some of the top shooters in the world.

I moved out here for the sole purpose of shooting at Rio Salado. Unfortunately, circumstances have changed in my life and I'm not doing nearly as much shooting as I had hoped to.

I have a really hard time dealing with the heat which is why I'm now thinking of trying to relocate once again. Many people adapt to the heat without too much trouble but I think just about everyone looks forward to September when it starts to cool back down, at night anyhow!

I'm not too impressed with the border towns in the S.W. but Tucson might be an alternative. It's within driving distance of the border but still a two-three hour drive to the ranges in Phoenix.

The thing I love about it here is the open feeling and the abundance and variety of natural beauty. I love knowing that I live in what's left of "The Wild Wild West"!!!

Adeos

Flagstaff is awesome but property is expensive.  It's becoming increasingly trendy.  Limited shooting opportunities.  Prescott is similiar.

Tucson is the best AZ city but the shooting is not as good as Phoenix, although it's pretty damn good.  best Mexican food and I'd argue the best places to eat from gourmet to dive.  I'd live there but I don't care for their court system - an important factor to a prosecutor.

Phoenix suffers from the problems of most major cities and it's lost most of it's AZ soul (unlike Tucson and Flagstaff).  To many Phoenicians want it to be Kalifornia.  It does have the best shopping, employment and shooting opportunities.

As Mark already noted, we do actually have a mall down here.  Been around for less than a year.  While I don't find it useful it seems to suffice for people who just have to go to the mall.  There are plently of other great things to do down here.  Mainly outdoor things like mtn. biking, hiking hunting, off roading etc...  My main thing is shooting, of course, and we have a decent public range out here along with a surprising number of different types of local shooting  matches for such a small town.

I have discoverd that many of the people who work along the border tend to live here in SV as it is probably the biggest and most modern town around. Some of those other towns I mentioned are a little less modern than SV and many who come here for jobs find them harder to live in than SV.  

Tucson the best arizona city ?! are you kiding me?

The only way to get from west to east sides are through surface streets or take the long way around on I 10.

They have the most unfriendly mayor and city council members in respect to gun owners in the entire state .

Do a search on Ken Rineer and his case against the city of Tucson .

azfact.org

brassroots.org

when traveling in that part of the state - I try to keep my $$ in my wallet rather than spend a dime in tucson.

rant over - apologies for the thread drift.