Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire Draw - Feedback Please

anonymouscuban

Hey guys.

So I've been working my draw to first shot. I posted a video several weeks back and got great feedback. Mainly to reduce unnecessary movement. Also to start prepping the trigger earlier. After a few weeks of dry fire and live fire practice, my draw has gotten much faster.

Below are two videos. The first I have the par time set to 1.3 seconds. The second video I have it set to 1 second.

I still see a bit of movement in my head, specifically when I punch the gun out. Not sure if this is normal or stil should be improved. No matter what I try I can't seem to rid that movement when I speed up my draw. Not sure if you guys see anything else I can do to improve it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes.. Position your holster and pistol so when your hands and arms are hanging at there natural position and when you raise your hands to grab the gun it's automatic, no unnecessary movement.. Straight up.. 

Yes.. Position your holster and pistol so when your hands and arms are hanging at there natural position and when you raise your hands to grab the gun it's automatic, no unnecessary movement.. Straight up.. 
OK. I watched the videos at quarter speed and I can see what you mean. I also noticed that my start position, I have my right hand resting further back than my left. Probably compensating for the holster position. I will move it further forward a bit. I think I still have plenty of room to stay within the Production rule for holster position.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Do you really shoot that way? With both elbows down?

You need to do your dryfire like you would shooting live. As perfect as you can.    

If so, i would change the stance and your grip/elbow position. It´s pretty easy to change those things as a beginner as you didnt do 10K repetitions.   

Speed is good! ;) 

Edited by bimmer1980

6 hours ago, bimmer1980 said:

Do you really shoot that way? With both elbows down?

You need to do your dryfire like you would shooting live. As perfect as you can.    

If so, i would change the stance and your grip/elbow position. It´s pretty easy to change those things as a beginner as you didnt do 10K repetitions.   

Speed is good! ;) 

Hey Bimmer. Yeah. That's the way I shoot. Can you elaborate a bit more on what you see odd about my elbows? I've taken several shooting classes and no one has ever given me any feedback on my elbow placement. Would be helpful if you can share some visual aids of what you mean. 

EDIT... I think what you're noticing is that my elbows are not locked. Interesting, when I first started shooting, I would lock my elbows out. I was instructed by a few different people to not lock my elbows. I have seen arguments for both sides of this coin and they each argue for the same reason... recoil control. Elbow locked camp say that it allows for a firmer grip, thus keeping the gun from flipping up as much. The elbows bent camp argue that the less rigid elbows allow for some recoil absorption. 

As a new guy, I don't know who to listen to so I do whats most comfortable/natural. With elbows locked, I was felt so tensed up. But it was back when I less experienced so I was generally very tense when I shot.

Any advice is much appreciated. 

Edited by anonymouscuban

2 hours ago, anonymouscuban said:

Hey Bimmer. Yeah. That's the way I shoot. Can you elaborate a bit more on what you see odd about my elbows? I've taken several shooting classes and no one has ever given me any feedback on my elbow placement. Would be helpful if you can share some visual aids of what you mean. 

EDIT... I think what you're noticing is that my elbows are not locked. Interesting, when I first started shooting, I would lock my elbows out. I was instructed by a few different people to not lock my elbows. I have seen arguments for both sides of this coin and they each argue for the same reason... recoil control. Elbow locked camp say that it allows for a firmer grip, thus keeping the gun from flipping up as much. The elbows bent camp argue that the less rigid elbows allow for some recoil absorption. 

As a new guy, I don't know who to listen to so I do whats most comfortable/natural. With elbows locked, I was felt so tensed up. But it was back when I less experienced so I was generally very tense when I shot.

Any advice is much appreciated. 

Hi!

I´m by no means an expert, but i try to explain what i mean (if thats possible with my bad englisch).

No, your elbows are not nowhere near locked and I dont think you have to do that.

For me your elbows look like they are pointing strongly down. That means the easiest way the gun has in recoil, is up. Thats the way the gun wants to recoil anyway. I dont think you should support that even more. Also, there cant be much bone support that way. The recoil impulse should move through your body and get absorbed, as far as my understanding. The path of least resistance could be your elbow if your wrists are stiff. If you turn your elbows a bit more up, you can use them a bit as shock absorbers without getting more muzzle rise and you can guide that impulse through your body better. I think.

I´ve not seen a top shooter that points their elbows that much down. Even open shooters turn their elbows a bit more out.

There are many Videos like this out there. Here are Ron Avery´s explanations.

Stance: you should bring your hips a bit forward, put more weight on your front foot (or both footpads) and shift your upper body a little tiny bit forwards. That should help the gun come back after recoil to the same spot (height). 

Edited by bimmer1980

• 2 weeks later...

On the elbows....

The pointy bones should "point" horizontally outward some. That allows you to squeeze the grip between your hands. There are other theories, but that's the one i currently follow.

I would move the timer. It slows the weak hand. 

Keep practicing

• 1 month later...

Also (I know this post is old) but your shoulders move backward as the gun comes out.

Don’t do that. Get your weight forward with the gun out in your natural shooting stance with weight agressively forward, and then put the gun in the holster using nothing but your arms.

Draw it. Using nothing but your arms.

Repeat forever. Head never moves, shoulders don’t go back or forward. Etc.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 1 year later...
On 3/28/2019 at 9:42 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Also (I know this post is old) but your shoulders move backward as the gun comes out.

Don’t do that. Get your weight forward with the gun out in your natural shooting stance with weight agressively forward, and then put the gun in the holster using nothing but your arms.

Draw it. Using nothing but your arms.

Repeat forever. Head never moves, shoulders don’t go back or forward. Etc.

what he said. 
I see you moving to your left as you come to the holster and then moving your head back to your right. to get your eye to the sights. 
Even if you don't move your holster it's ok to have your hands start more to the rear and index just below the grip so you have less distance to cover to get to the grip. 
then make the party timer 0.1 less than you can do. and try to make it......