Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Was Your Optic At 2005 Rm3g Match?

I'm looking for a replacement for my IOR. I really like the reticle but:

Stage 1 (3G stage with 4 targets ~100-160):

When I shot it the last and farthest rifle target was in the shadows. I could not see it with the IOR (probably due to the tint). I had to guess (luckily correctly) where the steel target was. I talked to a squadmate and BE'er Chris R about this and he stated that he didn't have a problem seeing it. I believe he had a big ACOG.

Stage 2 (Long range rifle stage):

If you hold the gun/scope at a certain angle the IOR's reticle flashes or grays out. I was aware of this problem but at this particular stage the problem was magnified. With the bright sun, the legs high and head low prone position, the imperfect head position I had or whatever the grayed/flashing recticle just flat out confused me.

I need another scope. :P

How did your ACOG, Accupoint, Simmons, etc. perform in this year's match?

Which IOR are you using on your rifles? I have a IOR 4x30 M2 and have never seen it gray out. I have shot it quite a bit in the low sun out here in the desert of Utah when I go out for some practice after work, and it has always worked great for me. IMHO I think the ziess glass is as good as it gets. I would have a hard time beliving that the ACOG has better glass.

Scott

I used the 1.1-4 with the CQT recticle.

It's not really the quality or the optical clarity with the glass. The execution (the tint) is what I have a problem with. I've read here that some (actually one person) considered the IOR 1.1-4 to be bright. But compared to the Accupoint and to a BSA the IOR 1.1-4 is markedly dimmer to me.

In normal situations it is fine. But the black steel target in the dark shadow on stage 1 wasn't visible to me. On stage two, a target that wasn't freshly painted black and was in relatively light shadow was visible (though barely). The scope just doesn't have enough contrast for me.

I notice this on brown IPSC targets against brown berms. The targets just don't pop-out with the IOR.

ACOG baby! There is no substitute when it comes to sharpness and FOV on long stuff. I have had my ACOG for over a year and I am still impressed by how clear, sharp and easy on the eye it is. Worth every penny is was, yep!

Use short range sights on the hand guard and an AGOG on the rail if you want to always see your long distance targets without fail ;-)

--

Regards,

Acog's are hard to beat on a COF like stage 2 or stage 7 at RM3G. They are quick, clear and precise. I used the Talon at this years match and found it just as good on the long stuff and a lot better on the close. I shot stage 2 in the rain on Thursday, only used 13 rounds for a clean run. Shadows didn't bother it, could see all targets very clearly.

ACOG did an excellent job, I could see the targets but was not doing my part.

chevron does cover a lot of the long range targets. stage two i did horrible, but got my act together on 7 with just a couple misses. Rolled the gun to the side

(with no sights ) to get the cqb hits on 4.

most people shooting IOR say they are great as well !

• 1 month later...

Lucas, if you do a search for Horus Vision Talon there are a couple of threads dealing with it and other low power scopes. It is a true 1 to 4 power scope with a center dot and long range grid.

I'm looking for a replacement for my IOR.  I really like the reticle but:

Stage 1 (3G stage with 4 targets ~100-160):

When I shot it the last and farthest rifle target was in the shadows.  I could not see it with the IOR (probably due to the tint).  I had to guess (luckily correctly) where the steel target was.  I talked to a squadmate and BE'er Chris R about this and he stated that he didn't have a problem seeing it.  I believe he had a big ACOG.

Stage 2 (Long range rifle stage):

If you hold the gun/scope at a certain angle the IOR's reticle flashes or grays out.  I was aware of this problem but at this particular stage the problem was magnified.  With the bright sun, the legs high and head low prone position,  the imperfect head position I had or whatever the grayed/flashing recticle just flat out confused me.

I need another scope.  :P

How did your ACOG, Accupoint, Simmons, etc. perform in this year's match?

Leupold 1.5x5, It's never let me down from near to far.