Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kushlan mixer

ltdmstr

Thinking of getting one of these for wet tumbling.  Seems to be a lot better quality than the Harbor Freight mixer.  Has a 3/4 hp motor and specs say it can handle 180 lb.  So it should do 5 gal. buckets of brass easy.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kushlan-3-5-cu-ft-3-4-HP-120-Volt-Motor-Direct-Drive-Cement-Mixer-350DD/203195233

kushlan-concrete-mixers-350dd-64_1000.thumb.jpg.cccc94cb7cf8ec22f6401e4556255c98.jpg

I use something similar from Kobalt (Lowes) for Wet and dry (Mostly dry) as needed. Works well with a full 5 gallon bucket.

I cap it with a plastic lid using 4 latches to hold it on. I used to use a towel with 8 clamps to hold it in place, but that only works for dry really. Thus came the cap later for wet.

Im running it in my garage and can barley hear it on the other side of my garage doors (Interior and exterior). The plastic tub really helps with the noise.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-4-cu-ft-0-5-HP-Cement-Mixer/3591096

Edited by Maximis228

16 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

I use something similar from Kobalt (Lowes) for Wet and dry (Mostly dry) as needed. Works well with a full 5 gallon bucket.

I cap it with a plastic lid using 4 latches to hold it on. I used to use a towel with 8 clamps to hold it in place, but that only works for dry really. Thus came the cap later for wet.

Im running it in my garage and can barley hear it on the other side of my garage doors (Interior and exterior). The plastic tub really helps with the noise.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-4-cu-ft-0-5-HP-Cement-Mixer/3591096

I like that.  Was looking at the Kushlan bc it's only about $50 more and has a 3/4 hp motor vs 1/2 hp.  Does it really need a cap when running wet?  I was expecting it to be ok to run w/o bc of the angle.

6 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

I like that.  Was looking at the Kushlan bc it's only about $50 more and has a 3/4 hp motor vs 1/2 hp.  Does it really need a cap when running wet?  I was expecting it to be ok to run w/o bc of the angle.

I cap it to keep everything a bit more clean in the garage. That is the only reason to cap it really. But I also use it to sift out media and water. Screen on cap does wonders for that.

I also use the Kobalt mixer.  I have water and soap spillage but I modified the paddles to agitate the brass.  The 1/2 hp motor is more than enough power to start the drum with a 5 gallon bucket load of brass and water.  It isn’t as loud as a steel drum mixer, but still loud.  With the garage doors closed you can hear it but it’s not disturbingly loud.  

I’d like to see a picture of how you seal the mixer.  

• 2 weeks later...

I use the HF mixer because it was cheap with a coupon. It's loud, but its mostly due to noise of the gear mesh with the slots in the barrel. I just cap off the opening with some plastic sheet and a bungee to contain the dust and close the garage door. 

The lowes/kushlan mixer does look nicer.  Just depends on what you wanna spend.