Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

$2.87 Per Gallon That Is Nuts!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been paying an average of over $2.75 a gallon for way too long to still be bitchin' about it!

Low is 2.65/gal and high is 3.09/gal at the moment around here (San Francisco bay area).

http://www.sanfrangasprices.com/

The rest of the country is finally catching up and getting their wakeup calls ;-)

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/d..._home_page.html

--

Regards,

How long do you think it will be before the gov. steps in and does something drastic like re-instate the 55 mph national speed limit.

Although not popular, I don't see how anyone could argue against the facts that when you drive slower, you use less gas and fewer people are killed on the highway.

I suspect this post will touch off a firestorm. I'll just go put my nomex underwear on. :lol:

just a thought,

dj

The truth of speed limits to reduce gas consumption is that the travel time increase almost exactly offsets the higher rate of consumption at 70 MPH versus the longer duration of consumption at the lower consumption rate of 55 MPH.

This is old hat stuff and the resultant oil consumption reduction back then was on the order of 1% or less after all was said and done ;-)

Fuel consumption rates are different in different vehicles at different speeds so a blanket speed law is not only not efficient, it isn't going to be effective unless the cars are re-engineered across the board.

Now try to actually enforce the "double nickel". It didn't work back then, and it won't work again now. The double nickel was also responsible for more accidents because it raised the speed differential on the roads between the cars obeying and the ones not obeying it. This raised the average collision speed differential which increases energy transfer end other deleterous effects.

It's all math and it won't work "again"!

--

Regards,

The government needs to step in this is way out of control!

Thanks

How long do you think it will be before the gov. steps in and does something drastic like re-instate the 55 mph national speed limit.

Although not popular, I don't see how anyone could argue against the facts that when you drive slower, you use less gas and fewer people are killed on the highway.

I suspect this post will touch off a firestorm. I'll just go put my nomex underwear on. :lol:

just a thought,

dj

The truth of speed limits to reduce gas consumption is that the travel time increase almost exactly offsets the higher rate of consumption at 70 MPH versus the longer duration of consumption at the lower consumption rate of 55 MPH.

My travel time increases when I drive slower, but In my Honda Civic and in my Ford Pickup, and increase in MPG from 32 to 40 and 17 to 21 respectively is an example of consumption reduction from lower speeds.

Fuel consumption rates are different in different vehicles at different speeds so a blanket speed law is not only not efficient, it isn't going to be effective unless the cars are re-engineered across the board..

regardless of the vehicle you drive, drag is less when you drive slower and gas consumption to maintain that speed is less.

Now try to actually enforce the "double nickel". It didn't work back then, and it won't work again now. The double nickel was also responsible for more accidents because it raised the speed differential on the roads between the cars obeying and the ones not obeying it. This raised the average collision speed differential which increases energy transfer end other deleterous effects.

you are probably correct. Without enforcement, speed limits are just ink on roadway signs. But when the Alabama Highway Patrol decided to enforce it, traffic was slowed down. Trouble is, they didn't enforce it all the time.

It's all math and it won't work "again"!

I don't agree with your 'math' but I agree it probably won't work. Gov. doesn't have the cajones to enact it, states won't enforce it and we as a people have come to enjoy going fast in our tank-sized SUV's. I guess we're DOOMED :lol:

FWIW

dj

They are listed in the link I posted earlier:

http://www.sanfrangasprices.com/

I also agree that something needs to be done. Expecting the gubmint to do it and to do the right thing is not realistic IMO. I think we could do something about it, but it would take some mass organising on a scale not seen recently and a good bit of inconvenience on our part, but yeah, we "Could" do something about it if we "All" wanted to badly enough ;-)

Say nobody and I really mean nobody (private citizens) bought any gas for 3-4 weeks. It would really put the hurt on OPEC for sure. But the hassles involved would be enormous and unthinkable for most of us. But we could bring them to their knee's if we wanted to. It's our wallets they are after anyway, all we have to do is deny access to our collective wallets for long enough to put the hurt on them and prove that we can do it again any time we want to.

Embargo ON!

--

Regards,

I just paid $2.87 per gallon it cost me $53.00 to fill up.... Something needs to be done!

Thanks just my thought

I don't know when I will ever fill up again. I just can't get over the "sticker shock". So far I have put $80 in without filling up, and one time put in $20 without the "low fuel" light going off.

I think that I need a "smaller" tank :)

Mike

The gov'mint IS doing something about it...! It's allowing the price rises to continue! (Don't get me started on who's sleeping with whom in this deal...) :angry::angry:

I've been paying $2.86/gal for petrol for some time now. What else is new.... Seems we went thru this before...

It's not just OPEC, the US oil comapnies are making record profits, lots of that oil is coming from right here.

Wasn't there some sort of excessive profits tax last time? I haven't heard anything about that this time... saying anything past that is too political, me thinks.

US, European and other Oil companies and OPEC and anyone else with any large stake in the oil industry (GM, the US gubmint, etc...) are all in bed together on this one folks. OPEC is only the face of the monster, all the rest are the body and limbs. We are just the grist on the path this beast trods.

I just ride my motorcycle more.

I agree, this ain't getting any better anytime soon.

I have a lot of concerns about what the next few years bring. In gas prices, stock market, inflation in general, and housing. Feels like a bad spell is brewing.

J

8/28:

Oil futures on the New York Mercantile Exchange soared nearly $5 to a new record high of $70.80 a barrel, above last week's previous record $68, after producers and refiners shut down operations ahead of the maximum power Category 5 hurricane.

Just based on the amount that oil has risen on the market, that gas isn't more expensive than it is...

It seems that a doubling of the oil, doesn't translate to double gas prices?

If the hurricane blows one piece of cheap sheet metal off of an oil rig in the Gulf, hold on to you hat.

They are laughing at us everyday, getting richer and richer. They are inside, and we are outside.

My hope is that we are at a point when the consumer will help influence the oil companies a little more.

I say this because trucks and SUV's are still selling. Hell, as long as that happens we will continue to happily guzzle gas.

Like I said, I ride my bike a lot more these days. I know it's a little thing, but I use a lot less gas riding that thing (55 MPG) and frankly I hope others are doing the same. Gas consumption starts going down and those oil companies will change their plans. Today we're just padding their pockets.

J

hmm .. So dont buy it. Or buy a car that uses less gas. Sorry guys, keep the governemnt out of it. The feds are NEVER the answer.

I like big cars as much as the next guy, but if you buy a vehicle that drinks a gallon every 8 miles, then the smallest price change hits you hard. If you drive car that gets 40mpg then the change means almost nothing. For example it would take $5/gallon before I really notice. I note that most of you are calling for the government to do something (remember when they did something about booze, guns, etc?) but not many are consider changing their lifestyle.

We need to find alt fuel options not that the gas companies will allow it anyway!

Thanks

My hope is that we are at a point when the consumer will help influence the oil companies a little more.

I say this because trucks and SUV's are still selling. Hell, as long as that happens we will continue to happily guzzle gas.

Like I said, I ride my bike a lot more these days. I know it's a little thing, but I use a lot less gas riding that thing (55 MPG) and frankly I hope others are doing the same. Gas consumption starts going down and those oil companies will change their plans. Today we're just padding their pockets.

J

No offence, but did you come up with a fuel and did the goons come after you? There are solutions, but their deployment is costlier then oil. Lets say you can make cars that run on hydrogen and that you have a foolproof technology to distribute it. You need to convince countless gas station owners to buy in and put up their cash to retool, when there are only 5 cars on the road. Its a chicken and egg problem. Given the current price of oil, its just not worth it.

Sooner or later we'll get there. Its still cheap to burn gas, or otherwise you would have bought a different car.

What you said is all true THANKS

No offence, but did you come up with a fuel and did the goons come after you?  There are solutions, but their deployment is costlier then oil. Lets say you can make cars that run on hydrogen and that you have a foolproof technology to distribute it. You need to convince countless gas station owners to buy in and put up their cash to retool, when there are only 5 cars on the road. Its a chicken and egg problem. Given the current price of oil, its just not worth it. 

Sooner or later we'll get there. Its still cheap to burn gas, or otherwise you would have bought a different car.

Some would argue the gov't has done something, thus gasoline and natural gas prices that are nutz.

Wait until you get your heating bills this winter. I pity propane users and folks who didn't lock in on natural gas. Let's see, there is a shortage of drilling rigs in Wyoming so we are talking about bringing them in from China. Natural gas pipelines are full and suppliers can't even get to market unless they have pressure out the butt (that sounds bad), but there is a shortage? :wacko: