Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 22 Budget Limited Build

JohnnyD

I'm strongly considering picking up a police trade in for $300.00 and turning it into a budget Limited/L10 build.  My club is holding a limited capacity special match at the end of April and don't really have anything decent to shoot in it.  Want to shoot L10 then regular Limited after that.

Trying to pick up as many parts as I can (minus the first 3 items) off eBay or Amazon as I have about $400.00 through Swagbucks I can redeem for giftcards to either place and keep the budget as low as possible.

Plans :

Glock 22 - $340 after shipping and FFL fee

TF Sight Block - $50.00

Lone Wolf Alpha Wolf 35 Threaded Barrel - $160

Magwell - Glockstore Big Mouth 4oz (can get off eBay $99.00) or something else but will come out of pocket.

Sights - Dawson Black Rear - Fiber Front (several flavors available on Amazon) or TTI sights $70-80 - Not sure on height?

Steel Guide Rod - Several brands on eBay for around $25-30

ZEV Spring Kit with Connector (eBay)

Misc parts Extended OEM Mag release (ebay), Grip tape (or maybe stipple) and DIY undercut.

Holster - CR Speed WSM II Holster

One thing when considering magwell to keep costs down I'd like to use factory 15rd mags and not have to purchase baseplates (will buy +5 ones eventually fore regular limited).  Going to check with Glockstore to see if they work with standard mags.  Can get 5 trade in mags for about $55.00 delivered plus the one that comes with the gun so I'd be set there.

Thoughts?

If I end up liking the setup I'm going to buy an aftermarket slide and barrel for a 9mm top end so I can shoot Steel Challenge and 3gun with it.

Edited by JohnnyD

13 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Buy the fully prepped G24 in the classifieds instead. You’ll save several hundred dollars that way.

Yah the one I tried to buy but someone messaged him before I did...I was chatting with him via PM and then said someone else had messaged him first even after answering several of my questions.  Kinda bummed about that.

Seems like for the total cost after getting gun, barrel, and sight block you could instead just get a brand new 35 or 24 for less and then you'd have a new gun instead of a beat up LE trade in. You can get blue label 35 or 24 (if you can find one) for around $500 I believe, just need to join GSSF to get voucher to buy a blue label. Or could just get used 35 or 24 for under the $550 that sight block setup would cost. I've never tried the sight block so don't know if it's worth added cost though.

I have thought about joining GSSF for the 2 years and then getting the certificate to buy a G35.

Recoil Gun works has trade in 35's for about $440 but they only come with 1 mag and have the department engraved on them so not a deal by any means.  The Glock 26 I just got from Recoil last week I could barely tell it was ever shot.  Only one tiny spot of finish wear otherwise looked brand new.

Otherwise the few other G35's I've seen for sale on here are basically the same price as GSSF and don't include any upgrades.  Guess I will hunt around on Gunbroker to see if I can find any deals.

I’d grab a gun with a department name in it in a heartbeat.

... But I treat glocks slightly better than a hammer. 😂

I think pristine glocks make you look like a tool... they really need more silver than black showing on the slide in order to look like the combative tool that they are. And something with random engraving in the slide isn’t worth crying over when it gets chipped and scratched.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

If you are gonna get a magwell to add weight then go ahead and grab at least a couple of extended basepads. It will be well worth the small expense to be able to fully utilize the magwell in a much better way and not as many chances of smashing a finger.  The sight block guns are fun though. 

11 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I’d grab a gun with a department name in it in a heartbeat.

... But I treat glocks slightly better than a hammer. 😂

😂

I'd buy one if it was a deal, but for $30 more I can get a new one on Gunbroker that comes with 3 mags instead of 1...so aka cheaper/same price.

4 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Plans :

Glock 22 - $340 after shipping and FFL fee

TF Sight Block - $50.00

Lone Wolf Alpha Wolf 35 Threaded Barrel - $160

Magwell - Glockstore Big Mouth 4oz (can get off eBay $99.00) or something else but will come out of pocket.

Sights - Dawson Black Rear - Fiber Front (several flavors available on Amazon) or TTI sights $70-80 - Not sure on height?

Steel Guide Rod - Several brands on eBay for around $25-30

ZEV Spring Kit with Connector (eBay)

Misc parts Extended OEM Mag release (ebay), Grip tape (or maybe stipple) and DIY undercut.

Holster - CR Speed WSM II Holster

One thing when considering magwell to keep costs down I'd like to use factory 15rd mags and not have to purchase baseplates (will buy +5 ones eventually fore regular limited).  Going to check with Glockstore to see if they work with standard mags.  Can get 5 trade in mags for about $55.00 delivered plus the one that comes with the gun so I'd be set there.

Thoughts?

If I end up liking the setup I'm going to buy an aftermarket slide and barrel for a 9mm top end so I can shoot Steel Challenge and 3gun with it.

I converted a G22 to Open in 357 Sig. I did start with the Lone Wolf Barrel and it was in my case, just too loose and accuracy was poor. Switched to a KKM at $165 and it was dead on at 20 yards. Good luck, with Glocks, you get many options for different Divisions and lots of parts available.