Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Production legal? Regular SP01 with Shadow upper?

midvalleyshooter

Yes.  It is essentially just a Shadow, as there's no marks or anything on a regular Shadow that distinguishes it externally from a regular CZ 75B/SP01 frame, except maybe the extended safeties and mag release.  But those can stile switched out for regular factory ones per tules.  Even with different printed serial #'s, both halves off the pistol are still factory parts. 

Edited by MoRivera

I'm pretty sure that would constitute disabling the firing pin block safety, since the SP01 lower will still have the sear as LuvDog has said.  If you took a regular SP01 and just removed the FPB from the upper then that would also be a no-go. Gun inspection people at a match ask what model the gun is for weight reasons, so I would think starting off with 'Well it's a Shadow...kind of' would perk up the ears of the over zealous safety officer

Yes, you need to modify the sear group with something like the CGW spacer or just a factory Pre-B/Shadow sear since there is no plunger on the Shadow slide.  But again, that essentially just makes it an OEM/factory replacement Shadow frame, which is allowed.  The gun is technically now a Shadow.

And essentially it's not disabling a safety since it's the B-model slide with a firing pin block plunger that contains the actual safety mechanism, with the lifter in the sear cage being an actuator (not to mention internal)....and now it has no function with a plunger-less slide (which is a currently available production gun).  So if anything, removing the lifter is 'internal reliability work', which I believe is allowed.

Edited by MoRivera

A SP01 frame and a “Shadow” frame are identical, only the action is different. If you swap to the Shadow sear cage/sear it is now a Shadow. You cannot tell from looking at it. No RO would be Able to tell.

When adding the top end it will have different SN# though. However, with the new rules any OEM part or aftermarket part made for that model that matches the original design are acceptable - making this a non-issue.

This is how I understand it at least.

The actual Shadow frames have a bit more beveling to the mag well, but not really noticeable unless you look for it and not a huge difference.  Shadow also has a slightly extended magazine release button.  Yes different serial #'s, but again factory/OEM replacement.