Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Basepads for 1911 and ICE Magwell?

rootacres

38 minutes ago, HoMiE said:

47Ds are too big and need to be sanded down to fit most gap magwell, at least that has been my experience. Tripp cobra mags, no problem. 

The Tripp basepads barely stick out past the magwell right? 

Arrg... Guess I just need to pony up and get the Dawson CTR magazines.

Edit:  I may give Tripp a call to ask about their 'system' magazine setup, as that sounds like another good option.

Edited by ncrivello

23 minutes ago, ncrivello said:

The Tripp basepads barely stick out past the magwell right? 

Arrg... Guess I just need to pony up and get the Dawson CTR magazines.

Edit:  I may give Tripp a call to ask about their 'system' magazine setup, as that sounds like another good option.

The 47d stick out far enough, the issue is the front of the basepad is too thick to seat them without modification. 

On 1/11/2019 at 2:06 PM, rootacres said:

I have a SA RO Elite with a Dawson ICE Magwell (with gap) and am looking for some better basepads that will have a more positive seat. What is everyone using?

Set of Cobra's & set of Dawson's - no issues for either with DP ICE (std).  Can use either.     

IMO the Cobras seat fine, but go with the Dawson's if you are looking for extra oomph.

• 5 weeks later...

How do the Tripp mags and pads work with the Ice magwell?

I have a Dawson Ice (with gap) on a Trojan 45.  I'm using Wilson 47D mags with Dawson pads. Fully loaded, the mags are almost impossible to seat.

Are the Tripp mags (or Wilson ETM with shorter Dawson pads) longer than the 47Ds?

I want to get mags that work and are easy to reload, even if that means cutting coils in the 47Ds since I already have them.

I use chip mags and ordered their extend basepads. I did have to clip a coil off the mag spring so they would seat easily, otherwise they have been great for the cost. No malfunctions. Only compliant is there are difficult to unload by hand when full... but it's more fun to shoot them empty :) 

Basepads are discontinued on midway which is where I bought from. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/893715/chip-mccormick-power-mag-extended-base-pad-1911-polymer-black