Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SPS Vista 9mm Mags

hump

I have a new SPS Vista Short chambered in 9mm on the way. I need to order magazines. I need advice on whether to stay with the SPS factory mags or go with the new STI mags.

I have a Vista short also great gun factory mags are hit and miss I run old style sti mags with spacers and grams springs followers and base pads. I tried 2 mbx mags but kept having a really weird feeding issue with them. I think it's because the feed lips are shorter on the mbx mags then sti mags don't think the wrong was being controlled long enough to make it under the extractor mbx was happy to take them back have not tried the new sti mags yet

2 minutes ago, mro111lland said:

I have a Vista short also great gun factory mags are hit and miss I run old style sti mags with spacers and grams springs followers and base pads. I tried 2 mbx mags but kept having a really weird feeding issue with them. I think it's because the feed lips are shorter on the mbx mags then sti mags don't think the wrong was being controlled long enough to make it under the extractor mbx was happy to take them back have not tried the new sti mags yet

I may just order SPS factory mags for now. 

Did you make any changes to the gun?

As far as changes for the first 10000 rounds no other than the POS mount it comes with. I put a90 degree mount on it. Last season I replaced the fire control with cylender and slide kit installed an sti grip and Dawson mag well aftc extractor  had 2 holes added to the barrel 

9 minutes ago, AHI said:

I have MBX mags ammo overall length is the key.

1.265 to 1.270     

All 5 run 100%.      The sps mag  not so much.

I tried every conceivably seating debth even had the owner of mbx on the phone trying to figure it out sent them back to him they ran perficet for him he sent me new ones same thing. At area 3 last year one of the open guys on my squad had the exact same problem with them he went back to sti problem went away 

36 minutes ago, mro111lland said:

As far as changes for the first 10000 rounds no other than the POS mount it comes with. I put a90 degree mount on it. Last season I replaced the fire control with cylender and slide kit installed an sti grip and Dawson mag well aftc extractor  had 2 holes added to the barrel 

Did the popple holes make a big difference. 

Edited by hump
Correct spelling

I don’t have a vista, but I have an SPS Pantera. My Sps mags run 100%. But 40 is much much less finiky then 9mm. Much easier to make a 40 and it’s mags run well in a 2011. It’s totally possible that 9mm sps mags will work just as well as my 40 mags do. 

But why bother when sti cost exactly the same, assuming you’re going to change the guts and basepads. I changed out the guts in mine as the follower that comes in it are total crap. SPS mag is 57-90 dollars depending which one you buy. 18 for springs and followers and 30ish for a basepad. Sti mag tube is 59, 18 for guts and 30ish for a basepad. So the price is the same. One thing I can say about the difference is the sti mags are much more stout. The metal seems harder and a bit thicker. They’ll hold there shape much longer, and have a longer overall lifespan. And another thing, the new Sti mags run straight out of the package, no feed lip or body dimension tuning needed. Most people have to tune their sps mags. 

Definitely utilize the 2 mags that come with the gun though. They’re a lot like the old and very desiresable Svi mags, they can possibly hold one more round then sti. The 140s that comes with it with a taran 7mm and the taran ultra thin follower they’ll hold minimum 25, if not 26rds. But like I said the basepad and sprIng an follower that comes with the mag are junk. 

Edited by Jfitz427

11 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

I don’t have a vista, but I have an SPS Pantera. My Sps mags run 100%. But 40 is much much less finiky then 9mm. Much easier to make a 40 and it’s mags run well in a 2011. It’s totally possible that 9mm sps mags will work just as well as my 40 mags do. 

But why bother when sti cost exactly the same, assuming you’re going to change the guts and basepads. I changed out the guts in mine as the follower that comes in it are total crap. SPS mag is 57-90 dollars depending which one you buy. 18 for springs and followers and 30ish for a basepad. Sti mag tube is 59, 18 for guts and 30ish for a basepad. So the price is the same. One thing I can say about the difference is the sti mags are much more stout. The metal seems harder and a bit thicker. They’ll hold there shape much longer, and have a longer overall lifespan. And another thing, the new Sti mags run straight out of the package, no feed lip or body dimension tuning needed. Most people have to tune their sps mags. 

Definitely utilize the 2 mags that come with the gun though. They’re a lot like the old and very desiresable Svi mags, they can possibly hold one more round then sti. The 140s that comes with it with a taran 7mm and the taran ultra thin follower they’ll hold minimum 25, if not 26rds. But like I said the basepad and sprIng an follower that comes with the mag are junk. 

Thanks for the detailed information. I am ordering STI mags. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...