Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer stuck under shell plate 650

Has anyone seen this before? It happened three times within a session.

First time I had to lossen the shell plate to unstuck the primer. The second time it broke the ring indexer. I swapped a new one on then this happened again one more time.

Any ideas why this is happening? Shell plate medium tight - has always been the same. The only new thing is I swapped a new primet index arm spring after it broke last week. Could that be the problem? But how...

32ed641bb8c0e08f0bf747537a06b10e.jpg

fd44b99c7902e8fb53db582d730a25aa.jpg

Sent from my LG-h910 using Tapatalk

Isnt it stuck under the case and not the plate?
9mm? What headstamp?
Good question - Under the case actually. 9mm. Win, FC, and Blazer in each of the 3 occurrences.

I thought it was under the shell plate because there is no way to rotate or move until I loosen the shell plate off. That's how the ring indexer got broken as too much force was applied to rotate while stuck.

You think this has something to do with brass?

I'll ask an obvious question, but worth checking . . . . Are you using the correct shell plate for the cartridge being loaded?
Yes loaded 80k on this setup so far.

1. Tighten up the shell plate to the point there is virtually no wobble but the arm is till able to move completely up by itself (hope that makes sense).

2. Run a single headstamp batch to see if that is the problem. If you can, make sure the cases all have the same number of reloads through them.

3. If it happens again, mark the shell plate station where it happened and carefully examine it to see if it is out of spec in some way. The brass might be rotating slightly if the plate is worn or loose.

4. Are the primer pockets too big? That happens if you reload the brass a gazillion times.

It appears that the ejector wire is underneath the head of the shellplate bolt. If so, this is incorrect. Remove the ejector wire, loosen the set screw on the left side of the shaft. Tighten the shellplate bolt down until it stops. Back the shellplate bolt up 1/8 turn. Snug the set screw in the side of the shaft. Verify the shellplate can rotate in the clockwise direction by pushing the shellplate by hand. Press the ejector wire coil over the head of the shellplate bolt, and position the tail of it into the hole in the platform. The only way there is room for the primer in the photo is if the shellplate bolt is set much too loose.

It appears that the ejector wire is underneath the head of the shellplate bolt. If so, this is incorrect. Remove the ejector wire, loosen the set screw on the left side of the shaft. Tighten the shellplate bolt down until it stops. Back the shellplate bolt up 1/8 turn. Snug the set screw in the side of the shaft. Verify the shellplate can rotate in the clockwise direction by pushing the shellplate by hand. Press the ejector wire coil over the head of the shellplate bolt, and position the tail of it into the hole in the platform. The only way there is room for the primer in the photo is if the shellplate bolt is set much too loose.
I double checked the shellplate bolt just now. Although it looks like the wire is under the bolt in the pic, it's actually not. I took off the wire and tried to hand tight the bolt all the way, and it only took 1/16 of a turn to hit the max tightness. I don't think my shellplate was loose in anyway.