Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need help with CZ mag feed lips

brian45acp

My CZ OEM 10 round mags I simply squeezed the feed lips until the rounds held tight. But the notch on the rear is square and this was easier to do. On my Mecgar 18 round mags the rear notch is U shaped and this isn't working out the same.

Over the years I realized CZ's like the rounds to be held tight by the feed lips or they pop up and create a stove pipe type malfunction with a loaded round. I have been screwing around with a couple ideas here and used a spring loaded punch to divot on each side about 1/8 inch from the rear so that they are tighter in that spot and prevent rounds from slipping forward after the one above is stripped away.  Basically this is my current best idea and the round will slip forward as usual but the case rim will stop at the divot I created. I tried this on the mecgar mags and it doesnt quite work out the same because I think the metal is thicker and harder than the OEM mags. I have also lightly tapped the top of the lips with a brass hammer but unless I really wack them they arent moving much. Dawson has a nice kit but its for STI mags so shaping the feed lips on these is going to have to be done some other way. 

What are you guys doing to tighten up the feed lips on these mags?

I have polished the disconnect rail and beveled it near the breech to help with all this but with my new mecgar mags am still having issues. For reference the OEM 10 round mags I only have to tighten maybe 1-2 times a year and can do so easily just squeezing them a bit with channel locks. Doing this takes them in about 10 thousandths vs new which seems to work great. 

Thanks guys.

I have not shaped any of my CZ mags and never had a problem. Are you sure this is not your ammo causing an issue? 

For reference, I have CZ 18, Mec-Gar 17 with stock basepads, Shockbottle basepads, TTI basepads etc. I have used round nose 147, 115, 124, truncated cone 135, 125, flat point 147, 150 and JHP 124 grain bullets at various power factors. I honestly can't recall an issue with feeding with any of the above combinations. 

I keep reading/hearing that Mecgar makes the CZ magazines.  They stamp CZ on them and CZ adds $12 or $14  or more to the price and sells them.

I've never had an issue, so far, with the CZ or Mecgar magazines losing control of rounds at the top.

I have read about people having issues with the top round being dragged forward by the slide.  The advice I've seen about that is to polish the center section of the slide that pushes the top bullet into the chamber so it slides over that next bullet without dragging it forward.  Reduced friction and all.  Can't say it works, as I've never had to do it, but other people advise it.

Good luck.

Oh, the reason people ask about it seems to be that when they don't empty the magazine, that top round, having been pulled forward, hangs up the nose of the bullet on the feed ramp and makes it difficult to remove the partially loaded magazine - or keeps it from falling out when the magazine release is pushed.

Edited by M1A4ME
added the part about the top round keeping the magazine from falling out

I can't explain this then. I have done the polishing to the yellow area and radiused the breech face edge. Stock mags 10 rounders I have had the same issues and had to tighten the feed lips. Now these new mecgars with Henning basepad and grams followers they are worse. My ammo is a precision delta 124 grn jhp loaded short at 1.095. Yes some bullets slip forward but not enough to cause an issue I dont think. I can mess with the top round and cause it to pop out of the feed lips after its just forward a little bit. If you pull up on it with your fingers it will slip through the feedlips and pop out. I feel like this is what is happening while I am shooting. It's doing this as I am ripping off shots at the match and I am getting a stovepipe type malfunction with a loaded round.

I cant think of anything else that is the problem. I have always just figured these guns like tight mags but obviously I have something new to learn if you guys all arent having an issue. 

I do use a Undersize die and FCD so is it possible that my rounds are being swaged and undersized? I have shot so many thousands and thousands of these and my sp-01 has over 30k on it before I stopped counting. I run PCC also and with JP I have no failures so I dont think its my ammo. 

By the way, the gun is all stock except for my optic cut in. You would think by now I upgrade my triggers for UPSA but I CCW a CZ and dont want to get used to a match trigger and ccw a stock one.  

Edited by brian45acp

I have no idea what is up with the website it keeps tagging words and I cant type for crap. Sorry about that. 

Appreciate any help here. I clearly have something new to learn and not sure what it is just yet. I CCW a 75 compact and now am sketched out so the g19 is on my hip lol. It feels like s#!t in the hand vs my CZ, lol

I called Ben Stogers and Dawsons shop today. Best advice I got was feed lips on 9mm should be no more than .360 wide. My mags are right there at 3.59 so I still think this is the issue. My other thought was because I run PCC and CO division I developed this load to work in both knowing that its a bit hot in the PCC but possibly not enough to throw the slide if a charge is on the minus side of my 4.8 grains. Its all I can think of but all the mags for CZ that I have all seem to be right around .360 or just under so if you all arent having issues then its something else. 

4.8grn BE86, precision delta 124grn jhp, 1.095 OAL. Stock springs and stock gun

I have ran over 30k of this load but I am wondering if I compensated for something by tightening the feed lips on my older mags. Back when I had a SDP p-01 from CZ custom I ran the gun stock on a load that worked but after it came back from the custom shop it wouldn't feed. I realized my OAL was too long but the stiff stock springs shoved it in and masked the problem. So after all this time I am wondering if now I been thinking about mag feed lips when the gun might be over sprung and short stroking on some loads that come up just a hair under my 4.8 grns

I figure I would order the stainless guide rod from cajun and a 2lb lighter recoil spring and start there. This would tell me if that was the issue or not. It is crazy I shoot carry optics but with a stock gun an only do this because I shoot USPSA with what I CCW and dont wont a race trigger on one gun and stock on the ccw gun. But the gun is stock